More New Prime Lenses From Sigma - 3rd April 2023

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

You can watch the full presentation here :

The three lenses are :

1. 23mm f1.4 (APS-C) E/L (Fuji X to Follow) - $549 
  2. 50mm f2 (FF) E/L - $639
  3. 17m f4 (FF) E/L - $599

A couple of interesting more additions to their compact full frame collection and their excellent f1.4 APS-C trio now becomes a quartet.....

Unless of course you are an MFT user as there is no version of the new 23mm f1.4 which is a bit disappointing really.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 17mm f4 they can keep. Already have the excellent 16-28mm f2.8 so…

The new APSC lens looks good as are it’s existing brethren.

I will pick up the 50mm f2 however. The ‘I’ series Contemporary lenses are IMO the sweet spot of lenses along with a few of Tamron’s offerings.

Tried the f1.4 Art’s and they are just too big and heavy for my tastes.

Lumix’s own f1.8’s are just the most boring set of lenses ever created, both to look at and regarding the results they produce.

These ‘i’ Series however, as above, the sweet spot for me in terms of looks, size, weight and of course results/rendering and regarding the latter, I’d call it ‘classic’, ie, somewhere between ‘vintage’ and ‘modern’.

Some folks reckon they are a bit too sharp and clinical but I disagree, especially if you shoot them with a mild diffusion filter that just takes off that digital edge.

I’d just like them to produce a compact 70-200 f2.8 or even something interesting like Tamron’s 35-150 f2/2.8. I would not say no to compact 50-150 f2.8 for instance…

Sigma and Tamron IMO easily make the best lenses that I am interested in for work purposes.

But none of these lenses are available in RF Mount, only; L, E and some of their stuff in X and N?

The recent Samyang AF cine lenses look good. I don’t imagine they are the equal of ‘proper’ cine glass, but for say a wedding hack like myself with pretensions of grandeur, I’d give them a look. But then they are only available for Sony I believe so as an L Mount Luvvie, I’m out of luck there.