And the 2013 Emmy goes to.... a 5D Mark III CMOS sensor?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/5d-mark-iii-sensor-and-filter.jpg[/img]

Above: the potentially Emmy winning sensor which I had to dismantle with cocktails sticks in an attempt to get acceptably detailed video

According to [url="http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com/2012/06/emmy-award-for-image-sensor-advances.html"]Vladimir Koifman at Image Sensors World[/url], an Emmy commission jointly headed by Canon’s David O’Kelly is investigating whether CMOS sensors should be eligible for awards.

O’Kelly claims advances in the technology has ‘materially affected’ television. The winner of 5 Primetime Emmy Awards, House notably made use of the full frame 5D Mark II in the very capable hands of Gale Tattersall so it is true CMOS sensors and DSLRs have materially affected the look and feel of TV.

But should the Emmy be awarding CMOS sensors? And why is a Canon guy on the awards committee?

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/8162/and-the-2013-emmy-goes-to-a-5d-mark-iii-cmos-sensor/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Yeah, that's a total joke.

As for the Emmys being bought, it happened a long time ago. It's been all politics for years.

An older guy that owns a studio that I freelance at sometimes here in LA, are voters for the Academy Awards. Him and his wife get so much free stuff around Oscar season to sway his vote. Good for them, bad for neutrality.

• Administrators
[quote author=joe link=topic=803.msg5789#msg5789 date=1338609317]
It certainly distorts and undermines the credibility of these types of accolades. I dont know but has cinematic innovations like Panavision, the SteadyCam, THX, IMAX, Red won the same awards?
[/quote]

My thinking mirrors what you say to the word. Awards matter. Sad to see them potentially giving into corporate puppetry.

Certainly if a C300 of 5D deserves an award then all those innovations you mentioned above are far more deserving.

"Above: the potentially Emmy winning sensor which I had to dismantle with cocktails sticks in an attempt to get acceptably detailed video"

Do you not see the irony in starting the article with yet another dig about your 5DIII resolution..... then praising Gale for his use of the 5DII on House? If it is good enough for prime time, isn't it good enough for most of our work? Please, please, please.... for the sake of the blog, just let it go now.

As for the Emmy.... don't they give all sorts of awards we don't really hear about, for technical stuff? Hasn't this always happened? Do any of us care? Didn't some 5 year old technology win a technical oscar last year? Corporate back scratching happens all the time, why only pick up on Canon?

I can't see past yet another thinly veiled article designed to slate the 5DIII and Canon.

Did some more research....

Chris Cookson, one of the Co-Chairs on the Engineering committee.. is the President of Sony Pictures Technologies. You just got to remember, people have day jobs.

Just another example of why you are such a sensationalist "writer" you take half the facts, mix it with you bias and type out 200 words.

All hail Andrew Reid, master cinematographer and demi-god.

• Administrators
[quote author=fauxtographer link=topic=803.msg5804#msg5804 date=1338669559]Chris Cookson, one of the Co-Chairs on the Engineering committee.. is the President of Sony Pictures Technologies. You just got to remember, people have day jobs.
[/quote]

Well that would explain why Sony won in 2010 then.

"Lifetime Achievement – For innovation and risk-taking facilitating the Blu-ray format, digital broadcasting, multichannel TV, and 3D television."

Seriously, you guys may as well be giving Emmys out to the highest bidder.

All hail Sir Howard Stringer who presided over the biggest loss in Sony's history!

By the way - it is healthy to have a cynical view of the establishment. Unless you are part of the establishment itself.

Sorry this is unrelated. But just wonderig about the OLPF review. I'm just hoping for a simple one with some example images. I have money to burn on a 5DIII or D800. This will be my 2nd 5DIII as I sold my first one in response to the under whelming results of it's video, before I heard of the OLPF news.
I'm curious if voiding the warranty is worth it.
Thanks for your reviews!

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=803.msg5812#msg5812 date=1338730798]
Well that would explain why Sony won in 2010 then.
[/quote]

Sony have done more than any other company to push digital imaging into the home and theatres.

It is like reading the ramblings of a mental patient..... I really must stop coming here, but it makes me laugh.

[quote author=gene_can_sing link=topic=803.msg5782#msg5782 date=1338562487]
Yeah, that's a total joke.

As for the Emmys being bought, it happened a long time ago. It's been all politics for years.

An older guy that owns a studio that I freelance at sometimes here in LA, are voters for the Academy Awards. Him and his wife get so much free stuff around Oscar season to sway his vote. Good for them, bad for neutrality.
[/quote]

This says it all. These award shows are also just entertainment. Its not to be taken serious.