flickering lights

pumpup

Hi everyone,

I will be shooting my brother's wedding this weekend  (there is a pro photographer who'll be taking picures so my job is of secondary importance and it's  basically to have some footage to turn into a music video). Anyway:), I have a question regarding the shutter speed. I do realize it should ideally be double fps, but I will be shooting at 30p and I know that the lights at the venue flicker at 60fps, so which would be the lesser evil: to increase my shutter to, say, 1/70 or decrease it to 1/50? Or maybe other values? How significantly would it affect the footage? Let's, for the sake of the argument, ignore the fact that I can shoot 24p. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Paul

You always have to be aware of differing frequencies. For example: With the GH2 I could shoot 23,98 fps with 1/50 shutter speed in my (50 Hz) country (same for 25 fps). For most LED lights I had to change to 1/40. Some camcorders allow to fine tune the shutter speed, until flicker and wandering bars disappear (> Clear Scan).

With the BMPCC, it's still possible to shoot 30 fps in european countries, but you have to change the normal shutter angle from 180° to 216°.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By dia3olik
      Perfect conditions!
      Regular import with box and genuine Sekonic pouch.
      Asking price is €850
      If you don't have an EU or UK VIES enabled VAT ID I have to apply local VAT.

• By webrunner5
      These lights, if you can afford them, look to be the Hot Setup!
      http://nofilmschool.com/2017/04/shootout-kino-flo-selects-vs-arri-sky-panels-vs-cineo-hs2
    • By zeemonkeeman
      Hey fellas!
      Recently ditched my 5D3 for A7s. Mostly because of low light stuff but also for better slomo capabilities.
      Yesterday I tried 120p for the first time but I totally forgot about the flicker and WB was on auto so it doesn't went too well.

Any tips on shooting extreme slomo indoors?
    • By ita149
      Hi,

I have a question about GH4.

it can record 4k@25-29fps with an average of 70-90mbs according to my test, does it mean that 25fps mode has better quality than 29,97 ? Less frames so better quality per frame as it's the same data rate per second for the two settings ?

• By Brett Stark
      Hello All - 

this is a really basic question, so if there is a good/easy resource - can you please just send me the link and I will go and read etc?

I have a new sony rx100 II. Yay!

From user guide:
      When you create AVCHD discs from movies recorded in [60p 28M(PS)]/[50p 28M(PS)], [60i 24M(FX)]/[50i 24M(FX)] or [24p 24M(FX)]/[25p 24M(FX)], it will take time as the image quality must be converted. To save [60p 28M(PS)]/[50p 28M(PS)], [60i 24M(FX)]/[50i 24M(FX)] or [24p 24M(FX)]/[25p 24M(FX)]movies without converting the image quality, use Blu-ray discs. 

In the record setting on the menu of the camera:
      60i 24M(FX)
      60i 17M(FH)
      60p 28M(PS)
      24p 24M(FX)
      24p 17M(FH)

I understand (i think!) the basics of interlaced vs progressive...

Background - at the moment, i am mainly shooting wierd little clips i see and family stuff - not yet into serious film/video making..

So, some questions:
      - what do the above acronyms/nomenclature mean?

- when would i shoot interlaced vs progressive?

- when would I use the above settings over the other for any reason? Is there a setting I would just leave it on 95% of the time? Does the answer depend I guess on what media I want to put the video onto in the future? If it just stays on the computer and I stream/watch via say apple TV I guess that bit doesn't matter. 

- at some point, I'll be back in Australia where PAL is used. Does this sway the answer at all?

Or is it simply - shoot in 24p (one of them above - what is 24m vs 17m?) - and worry about it later??:)

Thanks for any help/answers.

Brett