Some cash to spare. Is the GH4 a worthwile upgrade for using 60p?

Stab

Due to a tax rule in my country I could get a pretty good deal on an investment of around 1750 euro's. :) That is, if I buy it before the end of this year.

I mainly shoot weddings lately, aiming for the high end, and currently our team uses the GH3. Which was, until the GH4 was released, the one camera that had it all. Even the audio is more than decent and everyone loves our slow motion shots.

I mainly shoot in 50p (PAL model) at 1080p and then conform in post to get butter smooth slow motion.

Now of course upgrading to the GH4 would be a no-brainer due to this tax rule but I've read that the GH4 only does 4K in 24-30p right? So there is no 50p in 4K?

So my questions are:

- Is there a difference in quality in 50/60p 1080p of the GH4 vs the GH4? Is there more dynamic range for instance?

- I've heard about the audio buzz problem in the GH4.. Does that still persists in currently released models? And do you hear it also, when no mic is plugged in?

- Is there any other large sensor camera under 2K which records 50/60p in 4k? Or anything that will be released before the end of this year? Canon 7D Mii? Anything else on the way?

It's just that it would be a pity that 3 months after I buy the GH4, something else will be released with 4k 50p with better dynamic range. Cause that would be the true upgrade path for me.

Any suggestions?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wait 2 weeks for photokina.

www.photokina.com

My bet: nothing spectacular on the 4K front.

Samsung: Maybe the NX1 will have 4K, but probably it will be crippled or suck in some way. It's Samsung after all.

Panasonic: Fixed lens 4/3 sensor LX100 is coming, probably with 4K like the FZ1000 (hopefully with more framerates, 24 fps at least). GM5 as GM1 successor, might have 4K but with lesser specs than GH4. Also maybe a nice GH4 firmware update. No GH5 for sure.

Canon 7D Mark II / Nikon D750: no 4K for sure

Olympus: E-M1 firmware update. No 4K for sure (or it's something like 4K internal timelapse)

Sony: Just some new lenses. If the FS700 II is true then we'll probably see it at IBC.

Fujifilm: doesn't care about video, X100T is coming

Leica: More Limited Edition$

Hasselblad: Lunar Eclipse Super duper special edition Sony-rebranded camera

Ricoh/Pentax: ? fullframe K-1 dslr finally? actually they could surprise in some way - 4k? very wild guess though. Could be nothing new at all.

Most of the news will be out by the end of next week.

I don't think the difference between the GH3 and GH4 at 1080p 50/60 is a big deal. There probably is a difference, but will you be able to tell in real life? (maybe rent/borrow one to try for yourself). You will notice the difference between 60 and 96 fps though. The quality at 96 fps might be lower, but I think it's more than decent for weddings and if everyone loves your 60 fps slomo, they'll love your 96 fps slomo more :)

)

Sony: Just some new lenses. If the FS700 II is true then we'll probably see it at IBC.

And an E mount phone camera (30p only)

plus Phone camera with fixed lens that does 60p

http://***URL removed***/articles/1313222874/sony-introduces-qx1-with-aps-c-sensor-and-e-mount-for-smartphones?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

I never had a GH3 so I can't speak directly from experience, but I would expect the GH4's 60p to be a bit better (higher bitrate, All-I option, slightly better sensor), but not massively so. The HFR stuff above 60p is indeed a bit lower quality than normal 60p, a little less detailed... but I think it would be perfectly fine for shooting people/close-ups.

Already introduced at IFA so I don't count that as Photokina news ;) Although they'll show/present it again for sure.