Official firmware update brings XAVC-S and 120fps to Sony RX10

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Sony RX10 / A7R

When I reviewed it earlier this year I found the RX10 to be an excellent shot getter - but it was also a shot loser as well due to the weak AVCHD implementation. Many of my images suffered from too much mud and a break-up of detail in certain situations. So this is very welcome news from Sony. The V2.0 RX10 firmware adds 50Mbit/s XAVC-S codec and just as excitingly 120fps for slow-mo, making the RX10 a very interesting creative prospect because of the very effective stabilisation, long lens range, built in ND filter and a sensor with a full pixel readout.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have this strange feeling of been happy with this upgrade, even when i don't have the RX10 but still like a great option, just waiting if Sony will gonna realease a similar upgrade on the a6000, otherwise i will get the RX10.

P.D:

I wish the a77 MKII also have this upgrade.

Why would you want XAVC-S on the GH3 or 4?

XAVC-S is a marketing word. The codec is actually H.264, at 50Mbit.

GH3 shoots H.264 at 50Mbit already and the GH4 shoots it at 200Mbit!

But the profile on the Sony seems so much flatter. And there appear to be no noticeable benefits of the 200Mb in video. It only fills space noticeably faster.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

XAVC-S is AVCHD with a higher bit rate, so yes better. They are both H.264 compression.

XAVC is different, still H.264 but supports 10bit, 12bit, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 color depth.

A higher bit rate is a welcome addition to the RX10.