The best small&light gimbal?

Amazeballs

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/16/2022 at 10:05 AM, Amazeballs said:

I am not a fan of carring a huge gimbal with me and also I get fatigued when shooting it for a long time, and its cumbersome at best. But starting from Zhyiun M3 there have apperead a new bread of small portable gimbals which I am quite intrested in. The question is - which one to get?

Here are the candidates:

- Zhyiun Crane M3 (320$). Gimbal weight 700 gramm, supported weight is claimed 2.2kg by Zhyiun but I highly dought that number. The gimbal is year old though and ppl tested it extensivly. Brandon Li loves to use this one and he explained that the gimbal itself doesnt produce smooth footage so he uses catayst browse to stabilise his Sony camera on top of the gimbal which works very well but is a pain to use as it adds extra encoding step and makes all your footage 8 bit as well (or you need to buy catalyst Prepare, thank you Sony). I like the design, has DJI style focus ring and a nice modren touch screen. Also an etra 1/4 ounting point. The main downside for me is how janky and shaky the footage straight from the gimbal looks, very robotic. 

- Moza Aircross S (260$). Gimbal weight is also around 700 gramm and the weight it supports is stated at 1.8kg. No focus wheel, very old calculator-style non touch LSD but easy to switch for vertical shooting. From the test I have seen on the tube it is smoother and better for heavy cameras. One guy was succefully running it with A7S3 and Tamron 17-28 (1.3kg combo). 

- Feyiutech Scorp mini (230$). Gimbal weight 787 gramm, supported weight only up to 1.2kg. Has a top handle deisgn for easy briefcase\underslung mode. Nice touch screen, focus wheel. A like the design but kind of scared its maximum weight will be too limited for me. 

Now my camera setup will be Sony A7s3 with a half cage which is 870grams with an arca plate. Plus all my lenses will be exactly 280 grams + 50 gram VND. In total = 1.2KG 

Any advice pals?

Based on your needs and the camera setup, the Moza Aircross S seems like the best option. It has a weight support of 1.8 kg and from the tests you have seen, it provides smoother and better footage for heavier cameras. The calculator-style non-touch LCD may not be as modern as the other options, but it is easy to switch for vertical shooting. The Feyiutech Scorp mini may have a nice design, but its weight support of only 1.2 kg may limit you. The Zhyiun Crane M3 may have a nice touch screen and focus wheel, but the footage straight from the gimbal can look shaky and robotic.