Best 1080p HD image quality native - D810 vs A7s vs 1D X -

lafilm

Micah, I'm hearing and seeing mixed things on the Samsung NX1.

Of course all these firmware updates could change everything quickly. I haven't seen a side by side test (maybe AR has done one) comparing the 1080p modes of the NX1 vs A7s.

I assumed A7s was much sharper/DR than the Samsung...even in 4k. (although specifically speaking of 1080p for this thread).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having used the NX1 extensively in 1080p for a Doc, I can say that it is excellent. DR and Detail are not up to the level of the A7s, but it's much better than the D800 and the A6000 that I own. The complete lack of RS is a huge advantage to it, and the colors are perfect to my eye.

It is NOT a low light camera though. Past ISO 1280 it not only adds noise but drops detail. Certainly the A7s is far superior in this regard.

@lafilm The NX1 actually is more detailed in UHD mode, because it's downconverting a 6.5K image to 4K in camera, this is the reason the Rolling shutter is worse in the NX1 in 4K mode. Its way more detailed than the A7s in Super 35 crop, because the A7s is upscaling to get to 4K in that. 

The NX1 is one of the most detailed 4k cameras you can get right now. Its down sampling from  6.5k sensor which really does show a major difference in quality. Its Dynamic Range isn't as good as the A7s but its around 11.5 stops which is perfectly usable an in my opinion not at all a downfall. The 1080p mode on the NX1 in my opinon looks fantastic! Especially with it having practically a global shutter.