Sandisk Pro Blade?

mercer

Very interesting. When the SSD became half full of Braw, I started getting the drop frame warnings on the VA.

I cranked up to CB 3:1 to make the files bigger to fill up the drive faster. I usually shoot CQ Q3, but that would take too long to fill the space! Anyway, it seems that the issue is with the SSD and large files or folders of around 500gb - or perhaps one file/folder thats 50% of the available space. 

If you shoot shorter clips, then there's no issues (for me at least)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Anaconda_ thanks for all of the tests! If you have the time and feel inclined, could you try taking a bunch of 30 second to 2 minute shots consecutively for about 20-30 minutes and see how it goes? I just don't understand why some people are having zero issues with these "custom" drives and I can't get one to work consistently. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

@Anaconda_ thanks for all of the tests! If you have the time and feel inclined, could you try taking a bunch of 30 second to 2 minute shots consecutively for about 20-30 minutes and see how it goes? I just don't understand why some people are having zero issues with these "custom" drives and I can't get one to work consistently. 

Yep, no issues after 10 clips - although I forgot it was rolling and one of them is a little over 10 minutes. I stopped that one manually and did a couple more 2 minute clips without any problems. I'm still going to keep shots short with the DPL setup though.. but anything that needs clips longer than 5 minutes at a time also most likely warrents having a bigger setup anyway.

• 10 months later...
On 1/23/2023 at 11:21 AM, mercer said:

Hi mercer, I am in the same boat as you. Have tried the recommended DPL ssds and the recording is inconsistent. However, others seem to be having no issue with the same combinations. This is consistent across different camera firmware versions and with custom or standard write modes.

Did you ever find out what your problem was? I am even thinking there is something wrong with the usb c port of the sigma fp...

Thanks

On 11/29/2023 at 4:28 PM, dr4gonrot said:

Hi mercer, I am in the same boat as you. Have tried the recommended DPL ssds and the recording is inconsistent. However, others seem to be having no issue with the same combinations. This is consistent across different camera firmware versions and with custom or standard write modes.

Did you ever find out what your problem was? I am even thinking there is something wrong with the usb c port of the sigma fp...

Thanks

I never found out the specific issue but I did eventually find one that worked... a Samsung model. I also think that these drives may not like the quick shots that I take... maybe something to do with the buffering needed for raw video?  I'll take 3-5 clips in less than 30 seconds sometimes if I'm shooting B-Roll.

It's a shame Sigma couldn't release an update that shoots 12bit - 3K - 2:35 internal. I may explore the internal raw recording a little more.

But I'm probably going to sell mine soon because I just prefer the raw video from my 5D3 and ML and I really dislike having the external drive tethered to the camera. 

I just traded in my Sigma FP and FP-L after coming to the conclusion that they were sitting on the shelf all the time because they didn't do anything better than several other cameras that I already have around.  I used the DPL stuff with them, though, and almost never had a problem.  The one problem that I did have was that one of SSD's fried, I think when I was downloading footage.  I used the Sabrents and didn't realize that it's necessary to peel off the included sticker/thin heat sink for it to fit right in the DPL case.  Power C set me straight when I asked about it.

I kept the SSD's partly because I really like their little cases (and maybe I'll eventually buy their cage for the Video Assist which uses it).  Otherwise, whether I was shooting a bunch of short clips or some longer clips, they were fine for me.  YMMV, though, and use caution when voiding warranty by peeling off the factory heat sink sticker.