Would you still go Ivy Bridge today?

sevenstreets

I'm working on a new build.

A year ago most people seemed to be going with a combo like:

i7-4930K on Asus P9X79. Main advantages: 6 cores, 4 channel memory

Dave Dugdale's lastest build is along these line (he went Sandy Bridge 3930K). Also recommended by Blackmagic. These systems benchmark very high.

Now I see video guys and others suggesting the Haswell i7-4770K on Z87. Main advantages: most current chips, Thunderbolt 2. But you lose 2 cores, which shows in benchmarks.

Will be running Resolve Lite, Premiere, and maybe Avid Media Composer.

Editing GH4 4K footage

Any recommendations?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Haswell has advantages in speed but it's marginal, if you want to save a few hundred bucks and put it into a video card, that will be more of a noticeable investment than an extra .2Ghz, whatever architecture you choose.

Setting up a small 1U render farm, I used a mix of Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge (Haswell wasn't out yet) and they are still going strong. Not yet to the point where the render speed difference compared to Haswell is worth upgrading. One thing about Ivy Bridge, it seems to run hotter for some reason, get a good heatsink!

For a desktop computer, a Quadro card can cost more than your entire system and since more apps are writing acceleration that uses the cuda cores over the CPU, I'd say focus more on the video card and drives over the processor.

Haswell has an approximately 5-8% increase in processing speed over Ivy Bridge IIRC. Certainly it is no where near enough to be worth upgrading to if you had Ivy Bridge (or even Sandy Bridge for that matter), but if you have a much older processor and are building a new system, it is usually a good idea to get the latest generation of processors and support chips. The price difference is minor in the grand scheme of things.

Part of the reason Ivy Bridge runs hotter even though it has lower power consumption is due to a less thermally efficient packaging system used with those chips compared to Sandy Bridge.

You only really need heavy cooling if you overclock your system (which you would probably be doing if you were building your own performance system).

Other general suggestions, aside from the video card emphasis, would be to think about a pedestal server chassis, an extended board, lots of PCI slots, a really nice power supply and internal backup!

Anyway, those are things that I think make a workstation functional, I only notice clock speed when I'm cursing a render that is hanging on a single frame. Shouldn't be an issue with grading and editing.

Hey thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts! I decided to go Ivy Bridge rather than Haswell so that I could get the monster 6core i7-4930K. It sits above any Haswell options on PassMark but is still (somewhat) affordable: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Plus Asus came out with their X79 Deluxe motherboard not that long ago which supports Quad channel RAM and all that good stuff, including SLI if I go that way at some point.

Also going with Nvidia GTX 780 3GB. So a good amount of power there.

You can check out the build here if you like: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kqsgQ7

This should be all the power I need for a long time I hope. I have also selected components that I hope will be fairly quiet. I can report back on that once it's in and built. I can't stand a noisy computer! The GTX is the mostly likely candidate for noise, so we'll see...

I think the only thing I regret is that it will consume more electricity and create more heat than I wish it did. But working in Avid, After Effects, Premiere and Resolve, it should excel - hopefully. I do this for a living so I hope it's a justified investment. Still hurts though!

From what little I know, I would agree with the previous comment that 32Gb ram would match your six core processor better.

More important to get it right with X79 chipset as it uses quad channel ram, so you would populate all four slots with 16Gb then would have to replace it all later upgrading to 4 sticks of 8Gb.   With Haswell, it's dual channel ram, so you can just add in two more ram sticks and get to 32Gb more easily and cheaply.

Here are two links from a website that I go to for insight that considers all the issues you need to think about.  Your choice of "enthusiast" X79 motherboard and chipset, not only lets you use six core cpu, but enthusiast motherboards have higher bandwidth internal buses between main components which is very advantageous for video applications.

DIY10

DIY9.5

Doomed. Isn't Resolve OpenCL enabled? The R9 290X is pretty much a high-end card.

Yes about Resolve, and the 290X is sorta? Workstation cards seem to net better results. Plus DualGPU cards and crossfire/sli setups run laps around one card.

Anyway, it's not unusable by any stretch. I leave NR on its own node and disable it, until I need to render the clips. Then it's pretty much real time, even with secondaries on.