Simple Script enables Prores RAW for FREE on Nikon Z6

FHDcrew

Looks like nobody really saw this video. I don’t know everything being done here, but it appears some sort of a script or text string value was created that enables the Nikon Z6 RAW update without needing to physically send in the camera to Nikon. Anyone have info about this?  I don’t see a trace of this on the mentioned website.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well I found another guy who did it; this person figured out how to make the settings persistant.  I'm annoyed though; he won't just release the instructions for us all to know.  We have to email him, and from the look of the comments it looks like very few people actually received this file sadly.

• Super Members

The first comment underneath the first video is by Simeon Pilgrim from nikonhacker.com who asks some pertinent (and unanswered) questions about how this is done.

If you follow the trail back to nickonhacker.com you would imagine that, despite there not being a huge amount of activity on there in recent times, that something as significant as this would be generating a huge amount of discussion amongst the Nikon hacking community during the past two years since the video was published.

But there really isn't.

Which is pretty unusual really.

However, in the description for the first video, it states that :

"From our study, it can be done by yourself , as long as you have the right password file installed in XQD card"

Now the upgrade process for ProResRAW on the Z6/Z7 was purely software, evidenced by certain Nikon service centres doing a sub one hour while you wait service to activate it if you took it there personally.

Going back to nickonhacker.com, the very last post in the Z6/Z7 thread is this one :

357049974_ScreenShot2022-09-09at11_48_09.thumb.png.10001e4ec06c11e83cf39f25b075ee29.png

This tallies with the description of the video that said "as long as you have the right password file installed in XQD card"

It is this key that will have been generated at the service centre and it will be based on the serial number of the camera so is unique and not transferrable to another camera.

And it is worth noting that the title of the video is "DIY enable RAW...." rather than "DIY add  RAW".

So, based on all of this, what you are seeing in those videos is a camera that already has the license having the functionality disabled and then re-enabled through PTP.

In that sense, the "DIY enable RAW...." title is technically correct if obviously a little misleading.

What would be needed to make this work from scratch is the way to generate the "HDMIRAW.KEY" file which, after a two year gap, either doesn't look like its been achieved or, if it has, then it is happening in private with someone potentially profiting from it.

23 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The first comment underneath the first video is by Simeon Pilgrim from nikonhacker.com who asks some pertinent (and unanswered) questions about how this is done.

If you follow the trail back to nickonhacker.com you would imagine that, despite there not being a huge amount of activity on there in recent times, that something as significant as this would be generating a huge amount of discussion amongst the Nikon hacking community during the past two years since the video was published.

But there really isn't.

Which is pretty unusual really.

However, in the description for the first video, it states that :

"From our study, it can be done by yourself , as long as you have the right password file installed in XQD card"

Now the upgrade process for ProResRAW on the Z6/Z7 was purely software, evidenced by certain Nikon service centres doing a sub one hour while you wait service to activate it if you took it there personally.

Going back to nickonhacker.com, the very last post in the Z6/Z7 thread is this one :

357049974_ScreenShot2022-09-09at11_48_09.thumb.png.10001e4ec06c11e83cf39f25b075ee29.png

This tallies with the description of the video that said "as long as you have the right password file installed in XQD card"

It is this key that will have been generated at the service centre and it will be based on the serial number of the camera so is unique and not transferrable to another camera.

And it is worth noting that the title of the video is "DIY enable RAW...." rather than "DIY add  RAW".

So, based on all of this, what you are seeing in those videos is a camera that already has the license having the functionality disabled and then re-enabled through PTP.

In that sense, the "DIY enable RAW...." title is technically correct if obviously a little misleading.

What would be needed to make this work from scratch is the way to generate the "HDMIRAW.KEY" file which, after a two year gap, either doesn't look like its been achieved or, if it has, then it is happening in private with someone potentially profiting from it.

Looks like it’s a no go then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very good topic !

I try more than one year to find a solution to unlock Z6 ProRes Raw without success.

I contact Simeon Pilgrim last year about video 1 (DIY add  RAW) and he confirmed me that way it is inspire by his PTP Tool method. The hypothesis of HDMIRAW.KEY on card with specific code looks credible ( I read this info on two different forum). I try to reproduce the video 1 with PTP tools and 3.40 z6 firmware. But nothing is producing when I add the four lines on NikonDump / Program.cs . Maybe HDMIRAW.KEY is need...

Maybe Nikon will be inspire by Atomos for unlocking options remotely on theses old cameras in firmware....

It is very an old age to send the materiel to a nikon service center, with the risk, the price and the immobilisation of material. Finger crossing !