Choosing the right lens for video?

Daniel Acuña

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

heres a guys test that might help you. i dont like samyang lenses, they are cheap for a reason, but who can afford real cine lenses?

http://mattscottvisuals.com/blog/2014/1/19/lens-up-my-nikkors-vs-the-rockinonsamyang-cine

p.s i d rather have 1 good lens, that 3 that are meh.. i mean how much do the 3 samyang lenses cost?  1500euros?

better spend that on one canon L 50 1.2

@Christina - Rokinon/Samyang lenses may be 'cheap', but Matt Scott obviously likes them a lot, and has posted some beautiful clips made with them. From examining his test shots, I don't think you could call them 'meh'. 

yes, thats why i posted the test, they dont look that bad, when in the hands of someone like matthew scott that knows what he is doing, in terms of lighting and overall production, although im sure he would do even better  with better lenses.

but put noobie+samyang dont know if that will make the same results, while a good lens can help out even the noobiest of the noobs, me always included.

As many before me have mentioned, I would decide on what camera you're going to buy before choosing lenses. The obvious influence it will have on your lens choices will be the camera's lens mount (EF, MFT, etc.)

I shoot on the 5D Mark III and primarily use zoom lenses like the 24-105 F4 L IS for video these days. It all depends on what you're going to be shooting. I work on a lot of corporate jobs and the like where the shooting is run and gun and I don't have time to balance a steadicam or even think about laying some track.  Therefore, the Image Stabilisation from the 24-105 works in tandem with my shoulder mount to get nice, floaty coverage. It also saves me running around like a headless chicken to get wides followed by close ups - I just zoom.

If, however, you're shooting films or are in a studio a lot and have the time to swap out lenses and change the lighting, then primes are much more the way to go. 

As many before me have mentioned, I would decide on what camera you're going to buy before choosing lenses. The obvious influence it will have on your lens choices will be the camera's lens mount (EF, MFT, etc.)

I shoot on the 5D Mark III and primarily use zoom lenses like the 24-105 F4 L IS for video these days. It all depends on what you're going to be shooting. I work on a lot of corporate jobs and the like where the shooting is run and gun and I don't have time to balance a steadicam or even think about laying some track. Therefore, the Image Stabilisation from the 24-105 works in tandem with my shoulder mount to get nice, floaty coverage. It also saves me running around like a headless chicken to get wides followed by close ups - I just zoom.

If, however, you're shooting films or are in a studio a lot and have the time to swap out lenses and change the lighting, then primes are much more the way to go.

Very good!

This just went on pre-order and I am waiting to see what the quality will be like...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191164910491?nav=SEARCH