BMPCC 4K Anamorphic 1.33x - Drifter Character Intro

Bozzie

Hey All, here's a quick character intro for a project that I'm aiming to direct this year. Shot on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K with SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphic Lens Adapter. Base color grade via a BMPCC 4K to Arri Rec709 conversion LUT that I created and have been testing. Might release if there's interest.

Blackmagic LUTs byBoz™ are available to download here: https://blackmagic-luts.yolasite.com/

There's a specific "imperfect" anamorphic look that I'm going for. Haven't quite found it yet, but overall I think the combo works really well. 

Thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

your stuff scares me, heck even your avatar scares me...

personally i thought the start was a bit dark, and to be honest i found myself wondering if that dude had any pants on. Which is a bit bizarre for a grown man to be thinking about.

I liked the added effects, thats pretty cool. Not entirely sure how you did it, but i'd like to see them swirl about him a bit more and mimic his actions abit closer. They could then grow in intensity till their released and that may not be so easy to do.  But im nitpicking.

Hey @leslieInteresting. Just don’t call my name out three times. I might just appear behind you. Moooohahahahahaaa

On 7/4/2022 at 1:55 PM, leslie said:

to be honest i found myself wondering if that dude had any pants on.

This made me laugh out loud! That’s how I like to shoot. No pants style 😆

Just a very basic screen overlay. My VFX skills are not the greatest to say the least. Appreciate your suggestion 👍

bit like the bundaberg rum ad out here.. pants are optional at home... 🤪 

More honesty... i went back and watched it again. Mostly because i thought it was an odd screen size for anamorphic, however the second time i noticed the bars top and bottom. Probably because i run the laptop with night settings ( its easier on the eyes for me at least ) and the start is quite dark they blended together pretty well To give me a bit of an optical illusion. 

Not sure a dark night fight lends itself to displaying anamorphic imperfections so well. I kinda feel there needs to be some added lights to let us wallow in the anamorphic experience.  Be it garden lights or tea candles in a suitable container, not jj abrams star trek level of anamorphic, but rather something that lets us go, ooh ah, thats nice 🙂

Another thing struck me. If your about to be attacked at night there may not be time to take a stance, remove the hoodie and fight on. Sneaky buggers are well, going to sneak up on you. It may flow better if the he's attacked, fends off the first attack with mystic light. After that, then you have time to remove the hoodie and take a stance. Which sort of suggests, all right you  sneaky buggers lets have at this.   But again thats probably just me.

There's actually a script that we'll be working off. This was really just a camera/lens test introducing the character and not really representative of the real mood we're going for. More tests to be done to hone in on those anamorphic lens imperfections/characteristics I'm looking for.

All valid points and once again appreciated!