anamorphic debate

dr5chrome

Hello - I have been studying anamorphic the past 8months after stumbling into one of Titos youtubes.

As he explained, that he made many financial errors in the beginning. While i was skeptical, it turned out he was 100% correct. I did waste lots of money with total experiment stuff I now would not use for anything. But I guess one has to find his or hers own path. What works for one may not work for another. I was the same

So the 1st debate - How much did you waste in the beginning?
#2 - which setup did you find the most appealing?

#3 - For me the KEY ELEMENT is sharpness. I cant afford a 20K scope, so dual focus it must be. Flares are secondary. 
        Ive found That the scopes touted as the sharpest just were not - the ULTRA-STAR red and gold. Many of the older and less champined scopes I found to be sharper.
        I have not yet found a KOWA/B&H or the KOWA 8z to test.. With that, what scope surprised you that was unexpected?

Best regards - Dave w

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

how much i spent on anamorphics is not up for debate, and if i die. Don't let mum sell them for what i told her, i paid for them. 🙄 

If sirui had their act together 12 months earlier... i would have bought one of them, most likely the 24mm.

Media division have produced their second chapter  on anamorphic lenses their conclusion was that the ultra star red, was by far the sharpest lens of the projector lenses. They did make the admission that the kowa 8 they had wasn't very sharp. So i presume that what ever you buy will be subject to cleaning, testing and or perhaps may need some adjustment. 

Anamorphic lenses, especially the projection ones, suffers from some sharpness loss. This is mostly noticeable on wide f- stops under f8 and depending on what the recording format / bitrate used.

-I have had most success with dialing the taking lens to f16 - f22  to increase sharpness to maximum, understandably this needs lot of light or ISO, depending on the situtaton in hand.

Also recording the footage as RAW (magic lantern etc.) and post prosessing the RAW /MLV files in post will contribute to overall sharpness conceivable using the cheaper anamorphics.  In the past weeks, I have been testing various workflows and you can see the "best" results here, using vintage EOS 50D, with RAW recording.  the footage was edited in the free version of Lightworks, so it´s only presented as 720p in youtube. But please take a look, anamorphic lens used is ISCO 2x (the big golden one.)

https://youtu.be/ZAqUDLmO_zM

On 8/2/2021 at 8:13 PM, Vesa Lempinen said:

-I have had most success with dialing the taking lens to f16 - f22  to increase sharpness to maximum, understandably this needs lot of light or ISO, depending on the situtaton in hand.

Have you ever heard of "diffraction" ? It means that you loose sharpness if you close your aperture too much.