Sony Alpha 1 (12bit ProRes RAW Atomos) vs RED KOMODO

Fox

Hi! I'm in the market for a new camera.

Can't decide between going for Sony Alpha 1 with Atomos 12 bit ProRes Raw recorder vs RED KOMODO

The only thing that seems a drawback with Sony for me is the E-mount and no possibility to use EF or PL lenses, otherwise I think all the other features (AF, IBIS, Photography etc...) seem to be the better offer for me. A7SIII is NOT an option, please don't refer to it in your answers as I am not interested.

I just CAN'T find any comparison online between the Sony A1 and the Red KOMODO. Anybody can help?

Thanks in advance

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I

6 hours ago, Sharathc47 said:

What do you want to shoot?

Hi! Mostly indie narrative & commercial work. I work as a DP with RED & Alexa bodies on larger sets with crew but I’m looking for a lighter personal setup for side projects such as personal projects and/or videos for low-budget clients around. The photography features of the Sony Alpha does certainly look like a plus to me as a hobbyist but it will mainly be used for videography, on the other side Im a bit thrown off by the supposed lack of versatility of the e-Mount. I love RED codec but I just saw that atomos released and updated ninja with 8K external (ProRes) raw recording possibilities so it does makes the Sony with FF AF and IBIS look like an appealing option though. 

13 hours ago, Fox said:

supposed lack of versatility of the e-Mount.

Red komodo comes with RF mount which is also not so versatile. you need adapters for both cameras.

14 hours ago, Fox said:

8K external (ProRes) raw recording possibilities so it does makes the Sony with FF AF and IBIS look like an appealing option though. 

Sure it is. Other concerns i like to mention with sony cameras are... not so great color science, line skipping in 4k. 

But I would go with sony if photography is also a priority.

4 minutes ago, Sharathc47 said:

Red komodo comes with RF mount which is also not so versatile. you need adapters for both cameras.

Sure it is. Other concerns i like to mention with sony cameras are... not so great color science, line skipping in 4k. 

But I would go with sony if photography is also a priority.

Thanks! Yeah regarding the Komodo I thought it’d be easier to get say EF lenses on it than on the Sony (unless using Metabones) 

Color science on the Sony A1 seems to be updated with S-Cinetone, but I’d rather shoot raw (through external recorder) anyway 

What about the R5? How does it compare with A1 for videography? 

1 hour ago, Sharathc47 said:

Haha! Checkout R5 posts by andrew reid.

When you pair with atomos ninja v+ its good but it has a hdmi mini not the regular one. 

Well I think the mini hdmi is totally out of the question for me, far too unreliable and prone to damage if i am not wrong.

I have one question: with those mirrorless recording to an Atomos Ninja, do you anyway have to ALSO record internally to a card or can you record straight to the Ninja without a card inside the camera?

On 6/1/2021 at 2:17 PM, Fox said:

Well I think the mini hdmi is totally out of the question for me, far too unreliable and prone to damage if i am not wrong.

I have one question: with those mirrorless recording to an Atomos Ninja, do you anyway have to ALSO record internally to a card or can you record straight to the Ninja without a card inside the camera?

The R5 comes with a cable holder that locks the HDMI cable to the camera. There is no electronic issue with micro or mini HDMI.

You can record 8K 12bit and 4K 120p ProResRAW with the Ninja V+, and there should be no overheating. You can record 10bit 4K 60p ProRes 422 HQ with the Ninja V and there is no overheating.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:37 PM, markr041 said:

The R5 comes with a cable holder that locks the HDMI cable to the camera. There is no electronic issue with micro or mini HDMI.

You can record 8K 12bit and 4K 120p ProResRAW with the Ninja V+, and there should be no overheating. You can record 10bit 4K 60p ProRes 422 HQ with the Ninja V and there is no overheating.

Great! So it looks like a better deal than the Sony Alpha 1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:37 PM, markr041 said:

Thanks! Do you have a picture of that cable holder?

19 hours ago, markr041 said:

Yes.

Cable Holder.jpg

Wow Thanks!

Now I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon R5 and the Sony A1. 🙂

Considering buying the ninja V+ and a bunch of lenses and accessories up to 15000 bucks, I've come to the exact same estimated price if it buy either one for similar combos.

Any decisive point between one and the other?

1 hour ago, Fox said:

Wow Thanks!

Now I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon R5 and the Sony A1. 🙂

Considering buying the ninja V+ and a bunch of lenses and accessories up to 15000 bucks, I've come to the exact same estimated price if it buy either one for similar combos.

Any decisive point between one and the other?

Point? How about points! The R5 has 8K RAW, it has lower rolling shutter, it has better AF, it has better stabilization, and it has better 4K, in HQ mode (sampled from 8K). With overheating solved using the Ninja V+, it seems there is no contest. Am I missing something?

3 hours ago, markr041 said:

Point? How about points! The R5 has 8K RAW, it has lower rolling shutter, it has better AF, it has better stabilization, and it has better 4K, in HQ mode (sampled from 8K). With overheating solved using the Ninja V+, it seems there is no contest. Am I missing something?

I saw some reports about some “wobbling” issues with the image stabilization… Many YouTube’s videos about it. Do you have this issue?

I also saw a recording time limit (apart from overheating) of 29:59 whereas the Sony’s don’t have time limits.

Also I understand Andrew Reid here sold his and is still totally against it (I understand because of overheating but don’t know what he thinks beyond that)

i think these are the 3 main points still refraining me though

2 hours ago, Fox said:

I saw some reports about some “wobbling” issues with the image stabilization… Many YouTube’s videos about it. Do you have this issue?

I also saw a recording time limit (apart from overheating) of 29:59 whereas the Sony’s don’t have time limits.

Also I understand Andrew Reid here sold his and is still totally against it (I understand because of overheating but don’t know what he thinks beyond that)

i think these are the 3 main points still refraining me though

Overheating and the time limit are both now irrelevant if the R5 is combined with the Ninja V+. I think the IBIS wobble was confined to an EF lens with IS, the EF 16-35 L. I don't see it in videos I have shot, with an RF lens with IS.

9 hours ago, markr041 said:

Overheating and the time limit are both now irrelevant if the R5 is combined with the Ninja V+. I think the IBIS wobble was confined to an EF lens with IS, the EF 16-35 L. I don't see it in videos I have shot, with an RF lens with IS.

Right about time limit and overheating.

On the contrary Wobbling seems to happen with RF IS lenses such as RF 15-35. You’re frightening me now talking about the EF 16-35 as it would be the main lens I’d use shooting wide run & gun…

Which lens do you use?

12 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Example with Canon RF 24-105 IS STM lens:

Well the thing is all reports of wobbling are specific about problems with focal length below 24mm, such as 16mm…

sure you won’t have this problem with a 24-105mm, especially that most of these shots are “still” without any kind of movements 

21 minutes ago, Fox said:

Well the thing is all reports of wobbling are specific about problems with focal length below 24mm, such as 16mm…

sure you won’t have this problem with a 24-105mm, especially that most of these shots are “still” without any kind of movements 

Wobbling is certainly if not most apparent and annoying, if it exists, for static shots. I can't help out below 24.

15 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Wobbling is certainly if not most apparent and annoying, if it exists, for static shots. I can't help out below 24.

39 minutes ago, Fox said: