Some purple stuff on my sensor :(

Inazuma

Hey guys

So after coming home from Berlin and checking out my videos, I realised there were splodges of purple all over the image. It is more noticeable in Ex-Tele mode, such as in the video below. I've tried using an air blower and using the software sensor cleaning and pixel refresh, but nothing has worked. When I shine a light over the sensor I can definitely see some particles on top. How can I get rid of them?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 month later...

Ok so the swobs didn't work and I sent it in for repairs (out of warranty). They just gave me notice that it would cost £500 to replace parts :( :( I've asked them to just return it to me. (which is still gonna cost me £30!). I guess I'll just have to use software to get rid of the spots in post. What plugin do you guys recommend for this kind of thing in Premiere Pro or After Effects?

if its particles ontop of the sensor then it might be possible to clean them off carefully

the sensor has a clear plastic piece over it - so get some isopropanol cleaning fluid and try an intense clean using 'isoprop' on a cotton bud

as this may shift it , where a sensor swab is a more general light clean and has not shifted it.

I've done some investigation and I am almost certain the dead pixels were caused by strobe lights in a nightclub I was filming in. I have looked at images and videos I've taken before and during the shoot, and it seems the dead pixels appeared whilst filming - though I've yet to find the exact moment it happened. I wonder if there's a filter I can use to stop this from happening? Maybe an expensive UV filter?

I dont have Final Cut im afraid. Only AE/PP.

I can use the CC wire removal effect in After Effects, but id rather have the removal done in Premiere Pro as then I dont have to encode the video out of AE back in to premiere

I dont have Final Cut im afraid. Only AE/PP.

I can use the CC wire removal effect in After Effects, but id rather have the removal done in Premiere Pro as then I dont have to encode the video out of AE back in to premiere

You could fix it using the built in tools in AE.

Drop your footage into a comp; duplicate it so that you have two copies, one on top of the other; make a tight cut around the spots using masks, so there are holes on the top footage; apply blur on the bottom footage.

You could use a plugin but I don't think you would get any better results.

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/refill/