Panasonic GH4 out - but what about the bugs in the GH3?

Wit

To my surprise I read the new Panasonic GH4 is out already. I bought the GH3 a year ago and I'm not going to buy the new camera. But I'm very curious what Panasonic will do with the GH3 bugs now the GH4 is out already. A specially the tilting monitor problem where the monitor shuts down when you tilt/turn it. Will there be some firmware or not?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hmm mine doesn't do that. I woul also check the eye sensor or turn it off...its way too sensitive it activates if you just pass something within 2 inches of it.

Although I do feel a bit abandoned I really wish they would give us some new features like focus peaking or some focus aid during recording.

Hmm mine doesn't do that. I woul also check the eye sensor or turn it off...its way too sensitive it activates if you just pass something within 2 inches of it.

Although I do feel a bit abandoned I really wish they would give us some new features like focus peaking or some focus aid during recording.

@ jasondhsd

Wow I put of the eye sensor and yep it did it. Strange I never touched it.

I also feel abandoned now the new camera is out. Do they have forgotten the people who bought the GH3 only one year ago?

Jason / Blanche,

Why do you feel abandoned? I only purchased my GH3 at the end of December 2013 - but knew that they would be releasing a GH4 at some point this year. Admittedly it came sooner than I thought, but the GH3 has been in the shops since December 2012 - a good 15mths between models (GH4 landing first week of May)

There has been a number of firmware updates since the release, that addressed issues with the GH3. I appreciate that there are a number of features 'missing' from the GH3 (Zebras, Video Focus Assist, Vanishing Overlays) but these have been missing since it got released and at no point has Panasonic said these would be on the GH3, so I don't think they will ever come (they have said the Venus chip on the GH3 isn't capable of Zebras etc)

The GH3 will still be sold this year along side the GH4, so will still be a 'current' model - so you haven't been abandoned, never know you might get further firmware upgrades :)

I'm thankful that they share the same body/frame - at least all your accessories will continue to be useful if you buy a GH4.

I don't feel abandoned by a new release but I do think the panasonic GH3 has still a few bugs which they should repair. I'm just afraid they won't concentrate anymore on solving these because of the early release of the GH4. Bye the way I turned off my eye sensor and still the monitor tends to shut off in a certain angle.

• Administrators

I don't feel abandoned by a new release but I do think the panasonic GH3 has still a few bugs which they should repair. I'm just afraid they won't concentrate anymore on solving these because of the early release of the GH4. Bye the way I turned off my eye sensor and still the monitor tends to shut off in a certain angle.

The monitor issue sounds like a hardware problem and perhaps you should return the unit to the store.

As for firmware some of the features like peaking aren't supported by the hardware so cannot be implemented.

Panasonic still have an incentive to support the GH3 and they don't stop updating firmware just because the new one has been released.

My advice is even if you don't need 4K resolution, 4K makes for much better 1080p so maybe time to upgrade if you are a GH3 user. For the price the GH4 gives you much more bang for buck.

Anyhow, why would anyone buy a camera, knowing full well it doesn't have certain features - focus peaking, zebras, etc. - then complain about the lack of those very features? I really don't get it at all! And if you have a specific problem with the camera, you should get in touch with Panasonic and I'm sure they'll make it right - unless you had a bad experience with customer service, I don't think the forums are the place to bring up an isolated incident like that. But that's just me!

• Administrators

I think it depends on consumer expectations. Maybe people are used to firmware updates now and expect a constant stream of upgrades for free.

With Blackmagic that should have happened, no doubt about it, because for one thing it has been promised and for another, the cameras lacked basic features.

The GH3 has a ton of features and Panasonic haven't promised anything.

My firm advise is to upgrade! I don't say this out of any interest of Panasonic getting more sales off the back of my free publicity. I say this as one filmmaker to another. Do it.

Thanxs! Just contacted my seller about the monitor. No I won't upgrade to GH4 as my camera is only one year old. I will use it for quiet a while. I'm not a person who upgrades whenever a new product is available - I think its over consuming. Bye the way not the camera but the person behind the camera defines if a film is good or not  ;)