Trying to decide on my next camera - help

fjords

All, I am an amateur photographer/videographer and am trying to decide on my next camera purchase.  I have been researching for the last two to three months and frankly I am more confused now than when I started.  I did not find too many forums where they actually compare video quality of these cameras and that is why I am posting on this forum. 

Here is a brief profile about me.  Way back when, I used to have a half-way decent setup with a Canon Elan IIE and an Optura PI.  Ever since having kids, I unfortunately got into the pocket camera phase because of their convenience - currently have a Canon SX230.  I am looking to upgrade my equipment and am planning to buy a camera that will shoot good video.  I will be mostly doing travel photography and am big on convenience - I do not want to carry multiple lenses with me.  My budget is up to $1500.

Based on my research, I was initially planning to purchase the Sony RX100 II but then realized that I might need more zoom reach.  Subsequently, I decided that RX10 was the way to go (because of size, video/image quality) - until I read the article on EOSHD where apparently the RX10 video quality/encoder/bit rate is not that good and that a Canon G6 might be the way to go.

So, I started looking at the G6.  Upon further research, it seems that the G6 has been superseded by the GX7.  However, I could not find any comprehensive reviews of the GX7 video quality and whether the video is better than the G6.  Also, not sure whether I should consider a GH3 instead of a GX7.  

Then, I ran into a more fundamental issue.  There is no all-in-one 4/3rd lens that is comparable to the RX10 f2.8 fixed glass.  The best bet was the Panasonic 14-140 lens but seemed quite slow at f3.5-5.6.  I did not select the Olympus E-M1 range cameras since their video seems to be subpar compared to Panasonic/Sony.  Also, I did not want to go with the larger APS-C/full frame cameras or carry multiple lenses with me.

So, basically, I am back to square one.  Not sure how to proceed forward.  Any suggestions you can offer would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's my simple rant:

Everything's good now-a-days.  This kind of stuff is truly getting to be an "angels-on-the-head-of-pins" debate.  Sure there's always some new thing that might solve a particular problem, but how serious is that problem, really?  Worry more about how to interpret light in a productive creative way and you'll be fine whatever you choose.

A good cinematographer with an iPhone will always outshoot an amateur with an Alexa.

What's more important?  A long zoom lens or knowing how to capture a compelling image?  I'd rather learn the latter and then utilize the former.

Until you have some advanced skill at creating images you're not going to run into serious limitations with gear.  You will be the limitation.  In fact, by not compromising your desires you're the one limiting your own potential.  Obstructions can create actual paths to creativity.

Best documentary shoot of my life was when I said, "the hell with carrying all that crap" and I hit the road for a month with one 50mm lens.  Had to make do, so I did. 

As for cameras, seriously, when it comes to imaging equipment, we're all driving Lamborghinis.  Learn how to shift and steer the damn thing before you fret about the camber of the rear suspension and the downforce of the spoiler.

I know all the stuff out there can be overwhelming...but believe me, there are no bad choices for imaging gear in the upper end of the consumer market.  The bad choices happen when you start shooting with ignorance or complacency.  Solve those problems and it'll all be good regardless.  

The RX10 is still worth a lot of consideration because the lens is completely tuned to the sensor and it has a bigger sensor.  I don't know the comparable, but it's possible the 1.8 on the MFT would be the same as 2.8 on the RX10. Coming from a P&S I wouldn't worry about sensor size at this point once you're past MFT.

Sony makes the best travel cameras in my opinion. You wont' have to fuss.  When I'm lazy I want an RX10 ;)

However, should you get into photography/video more, you could use the Sigma 18-35 1.8 on just about any other camera.  I had a G5, boy was that camera easy to use.  It is also light, which I found good for travel.  One of my favorite lenses is the $30 c-mount Fujian.  You could use that on the G6 too.  Also, you can get the G6 cheap if you watch the prices.  

So the more I think of it, the more I think Pascal is right on the money :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will mostly go with the Panasonic setup - leaning towards the GX7 because of the smaller body.  Does anyone have any experience with the GX7 video quality?  The G6 video qualities were highly praised.  Wanted to ensure that they are equally good or better on the GX7.  Thanks again.

My friend compared both the GX7 and G6 the last time he was at BH Photo and felt the EVF was hard to use.  He liked the G6 more, though he didn't expect that.  Also, I think the GX7 is still a bit over-priced.  I have no evidence, but I'm 99% sure you won't see the difference in video quality between them.  I thought the G5 was amazing.  If you need to convince yourself, just remember the GH3 shoots in all-I mode, better than the GX7. (though most don't see any difference anyway)  So you have to compromise somewhere ;)  And if you are going back to total confusion don't forget to look at the GM1.  They just came out with a new lens for that http://***URL removed***/news/2014/03/24/panasonic-announces-leica-dg-summilux-15mm-f1-7-and-gm1-kit?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_4

Keep things simple : get a Panasonic G6 + Nikon mount Sigma 18-35 1.8 + Nikon to M43 adapter with built in aperture.
Use the sensor crop function on the G6 for a 3x zoom range.  
This will give you a 36-210 range, all at 1.8.

It would be simpler & cheaper to get an RX10. No extras & you have a 24-200mm range at F/2.8 & up to 400mm with the smart crop mode. Stepless aperture for video, built in ND filters. The G6 is a nice camera (I have one) but for the OP's requirements the RX10 looks a better fit.

Thanks.  Currently down to the RX10 or the GX7 + Lumix G 12-35/f2.8.  GX7 primarily because of the size and the Panny lens since I want IS for my video footage.  

I watched some of the video footage of RX10 on Cinema5D and it seemed to be decent.  I wonder whether Sony will come out with a firmware update for the RX10 codec.

Hi everyone, I thought I would update this topic with some additional findings (that helped me make my decision).  I did several video comparisons of the RX10 and GX7 video footage.  What I consistently observed was that the GX7 footage appears a bit "wobbly" when doing handheld panning (same as my Canon SX230).  I am assuming the RX10 doesn't show this as much due to its superior image stabilization.  As such, the "perceived" quality of the video footage for the casual observer may be better with the RX10 even though the actual video quality would be better with the GX7.

Given that I will not be using a tripod for my videos and that I will not be doing any post processing, I decided on the RX10 for my needs.

Thanks again for everyone's inputs.  I really appreciate it.  Things did take a different turn than I expected - with the final decision related to IS quality!