GM1 vs GX7

zenpmd

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The sensor is the same (i.e. the image) but the GX7 has some features making it better for video - EVF, 50p and enough mass to actually hold it steady with an average sized lens attached. A no-brainer, as you say, unless what you want is a tiny camera to go "aww, isn't it cute" at.

I like the stealth factor of the GM1 myself.  I bought it just for that purpose.  You may not care.  In that case, yes, GX7 all the way.  Having an EVF is great for shooting video.

That said, I bought my GM1 and then sold the kit lens for $300U.S., so ultimately I got the GM1 pretty cheap.  Might want to consider that if you're trying to save some cash and you already have a collection of lenses.  In my case, I have a bunch of old Nikons and a few m43 primes.  

The GX7 really isn't much bigger than the GM1. I shot an event yesterday with my GX7 where the manager thought I was using a compact camera until I told him otherwise! Further, the GX7 has dual control dials, more buttons, 50/60p, tilt screen, image stabilization for stills and a [crappy] EVF. All make it a much better handling camera. I really don't see why anyone buys the GM1 :/

the GX7 has dual control dials, more buttons, 50/60p, tilt screen, image stabilization for stills and a [crappy] EVF.

It's a truly crappy EVF, but I can still find focus with it with a little hunting.  Shame I need to do so, but it does help.

On the other hand, when shooting with the GM1, you'll never ever be mistaken for a "pro" ...for better or worse.  You probably wouldn't with a GX7 either, but the GM1 is so small and consumer-ish, you pretty much get ignored when shooting with it.

Fuzzy - how did you manage to sell the zoom lens? Isnt it only usable on the gm1? The stabilisation on it is absolutely incredible!

eBay. The gm1 kit zoom lens works fine with lots of cameras, so it sold easily.

Anyway, I'm using the camera for video, and there isn't any stabilization in that mode, so that photo-stabilization feature wasn't valuable enough to make me want to keep the lens.

Besides, I'm a prime lens type of guy --and bought the camera for a specific purpose which includes lots of night shooting. Having fast primes mattered more to me.

I mean the zoom lens stabilisation works great for video.

On the Panasonic Lumix cameras there is no stabilization in video mode.  

Good luck with the camera though.  Regardless of a few issues, I like it.  However, I'd disagree with the assertion that less mass allows for steadier video shooting.  That's contrary to my experience.

That said, the 20mm on the camera makes for a great video image.  I do like the 40mm full-frame equivalent focal length.

On the Panasonic Lumix cameras there is no stabilization in video mode.  

Good luck with the camera though.  Regardless of a few issues, I like it.  However, I'd disagree with the assertion that less mass allows for steadier video shooting.  That's contrary to my experience.

That said, the 20mm on the camera makes for a great video image.  I do like the 40mm full-frame equivalent focal length.

Yes it does.

The lens stabilizer work just fine in video on panasonics. But the IN HOUSE stabilizer on the GX7 does not work in video,