Portrait Vid with SLR Magic Anamorphot/Blackmagic Pocket RAW

elubes

Here's my video to share.

Had some trouble nailing focus shooting T2.8 on some crap BMPC LCD screen, but here you go!

EXPERIENCE
I enjoyed using this. This is a final production prototype that I am testing. What makes it great is that the setup was really light, pretty well-built, and the learning curve is pretty easy. It can resolve sharp images, especially with the achromats. On the small LCD of the pocket camera though, getting focus can be a crapshoot. Focus peaking does not always work and I had to guess a lot. I did have to tell Ying to slow down a couple times because there was no way I could pull focus, especially on a fairly fast aperture of T2.8 and pretty much 100mm equivalent lens. Really should have a large monitor. But then it's not really a run and gun lens like I was using here though. I don't feel like anamorphic in general is normally for documentary style work. Neither is the pocket camera. Hope this helps you.
Erik

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed the footage. Your setup is exactly like my own except you have an impressive lack of Shake!
I received my anamorphot this week and set it up yesterday, hoping to do some work with it this week. I've been using a kinotechnic Lcdv and it's been really useful for hitting focus with greater regularity. I did some interior work yesterday with the lens and was at t4/5.6, I find the BMPCC nearly impossible to use without variable nd, do you have one on the front of the anamorphot or did you simply go to T8 etc on the 35mm?
Thanks again, I'm inspired to go out and get busy:)! Lee

Here's my video to share.

Had some trouble nailing focus shooting T2.8 on some crap BMPC LCD screen, but here you go!

EXPERIENCE
I enjoyed using this. This is a final production prototype that I am testing. What makes it great is that the setup was really light, pretty well-built, and the learning curve is pretty easy. It can resolve sharp images, especially with the achromats. On the small LCD of the pocket camera though, getting focus can be a crapshoot. Focus peaking does not always work and I had to guess a lot. I did have to tell Ying to slow down a couple times because there was no way I could pull focus, especially on a fairly fast aperture of T2.8 and pretty much 100mm equivalent lens. Really should have a large monitor. But then it's not really a run and gun lens like I was using here though. I don't feel like anamorphic in general is normally for documentary style work. Neither is the pocket camera. Hope this helps you.
Erik

Great footage!  Did you use a monopod or something?  Must be small if you didn't get any looks in the metro.  I like those closeups, really nice bokeh.  I really like the SLR Magic 35mm CINE too.  Be nice to see more shots from Canal St too.  Keep up the great work!

i used a shoulder mount with two grips - it's really the best.  i was also using the kinotehnik, so at least four points of contact.  gunstock-style  are okay, but on long shoots, you're really spending time continually contracting your back muscle, and you're going to introduce shake with them.  so i think two-handed shoulder mounts are best.

Lee - had a variable ND on there.  even though i like the variable, putting the ND on and taking it off with the diopters was a hassle because it kept screwing up my alignment.  going to use a mattebox next time.  shot at 2.8 the entire time just adjusting iso (800 and under) and the fader.  exposed to the right.

tony- cool, will try that when i can get my hands on one of those. 

i used a shoulder mount with two grips - it's really the best.  i was also using the kinotehnik, so at least four points of contact.  gunstock-style  are okay, but on long shoots, you're really spending time continually contracting your back muscle, and you're going to introduce shake with them.  so i think two-handed shoulder mounts are best.

Lee - had a variable ND on there.  even though i like the variable, putting the ND on and taking it off with the diopters was a hassle because it kept screwing up my alignment.  going to use a mattebox next time.  shot at 2.8 the entire time just adjusting iso (800 and under) and the fader.  exposed to the right.

tony- cool, will try that when i can get my hands on one of those. 

I'm surprised you didn't get stares for walking around with a rig.  But then again it's NYC and there's camera crews everywhere.  I use a monopod with simple rig and I get stares and questions all the time.

I know using a vari-ND and diopters isn't easy.  I have my Anamorphot in a collar on my rails.  Makes it much easier, and alignment is stable.  I wish there was a quick mount instead of screw-in for the adapter for easy changes.

def tell Andrew. My first one was exactly like that. It was unuseable, the near/normal ring was so stiff. I sent it back. Make sure you get a functional copy. The copy I have now grinds. But should be easy enough to move without screwing up alignment.

The first one elubes had was a tight alignment ring that is now resolved. It had nothing to do with Near ring.

Some Anamorphots have a looser or tighter Near Ring. Volunteers had mixed preferences. Some prefered loose. Those who always accidently spun the Near ring prefered a tighter ring. Small tight spot is normal. If it is totally stuck then it is not normal. A very simple focus mechanism is used to maintain lightweight.

The three retainer screws is not used to hold the position. You need to screw in the anamorphot to the lens tighter.