Ninja V Pre-Release Beta For Sigma FP And Fuji GFX100 ProResRAW

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

In good news for owners of cameras that don't cause internet rage wars, Atomos have announced v10.53 pre-release Beta version for ProResRAW on the Sigma fp and Fuji GFX100.

Slight snag is the link in their tweet just goes to the usual Ninja V firmware download page where the new firmware or a sign up option to apply for it is nowhere to be seen !

I'm sure they'll sort it out though.

If I ever get round to using a camera again for actually making images with rather than testing a product with it then I'll be really looking forward to trying this with the fp.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So, what exactly is the point of recording 12bit ProRes RAW externally with a bulky recorder, when you can record 12bit RAW internally with just a tiny SSD attached to the Sigma fp? I don't get it? ProResRAW cannot be better than DNG RAW, can it?

And note, I have the Sigma fp and the Ninja V (and got an e-mail from Atomos with the link). I also have compared DNG RAW from the fp to BRAW recorded from the fp to the BM 12G Assist and could see no difference except, when really peeping, the DNG clips had more detail. What is going on?

• Super Members

If you are comfortable with the monitoring capabilities of the fp in terms of fixed screen, no false colour etc and the file sizes and the data processing of 12bit RAW CDNG then there is absolutely no benefit.

From my own personal point of view, my ageing eyes will thank me for the brighter, tilting screen and additional exposure aids and my ageing MacBook Pro will thank me for the ProResRAW or just plain ProRes if I want to.

Thats the beauty of the modularity of the fp in that you have these sort of options to stay compact or add more functionality based on your personal needs.

28 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you are comfortable with the monitoring capabilities of the fp in terms of fixed screen, no false colour etc and the file sizes and the data processing of 12bit RAW CDNG then there is absolutely no benefit.

From my own personal point of view, my ageing eyes will thank me for the brighter, tilting screen and additional exposure aids and my ageing MacBook Pro will thank me for the ProResRAW or just plain ProRes if I want to.

Thats the beauty of the modularity of the fp in that you have these sort of options to stay compact or add more functionality based on your personal needs.

I agree with you about the modularity of the fp. But another advantage of the fp is its small size. You you can get a tilting 5" monitor that weighs much less than the Ninja V, is more compact, uses less power and has all the focusing/exposure aids and as bright a screen as you want (and probably more accurate color) if your main concern is improved viewing and exposing in the field. The Ninja V is not the best monitor for those purposes.

Have you actually used DNG files in your editor? They work completely smoothly. Also, Slimraw, a cheap computer program, losslessly reduces the DNG RAW files by 60%, if you are worried about storage. Editors/computers have problems with heavily- (and lossy) compressed video (H265 especially) because they must constantly decode and encode. High bitrate RAW is much easier to work with than any of those compressed codecs, and no less easy to work with than compressed high-bitrate ProResraw. If you haven't tried editing with the DNG files, try it and see and save yourself the hassle and bulk of an external recorder - double sets of settings, etc.