Sharper replacement to Canon FD 70-210mm F4?

kye

• Super Members
7 hours ago, noone said:

Many fields used for Australian football in winter double as cricket grounds in Summer.    The difference is the action tends to flow from one end to the other (unless a game is lopsided but even then they change ends each quarter) while cricket action is mainly centre based.

I know, thats why I said I "only" needed 800mm as the cricket was centre based ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, noone said:

Rather than cover the whole field, I think you are better off just shooting shorter (I know you sit with your people though while when i do this just change ends when I like).

DSC07243.jpg

Nice pic!

I think I know why I'm attracted to longer lenses than most.  I shoot my family, and one of them happens to participate in a sport, so I shoot them doing that.  I'm not really that interested in shooting the game itself, it's more a character in situation kind of thing.  So in that sense it's a different purpose.

Also, if you're shooting at night then I can understand why you'd be trading focal length for aperture, gotta let that light in!

12 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

^^^WTF is this? Is that Australian Football?^^^

I spent a few weeks there touring around in a van, tried to get rugby tickets, but it was my first time driving on the wrong side of the road and I would have needed to cross Sydney at night which is probably a bad idea LOL!

No wonder its so tough to find a lens, you're dealing with that funky shaped field haha! Good luck with your search.

Chris

Yep.  Welcome to Australia!

I drove in the US once.  I was doing really well until I got distracted in a carpark looking for a place to park.  It took a second to work out why the other person was honking, and why they were coming right towards me 🙂

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It certainly seems to be losing some detail in the faces there 🙂

It's the darnedest thing.  If I open that image in photoshop and hit Command-Z repeatedly, the image gets progressively clearer, but if I take footage straight out of the camera and into Resolve and hit Command-Z then nothing happens.

Any ideas?

11 hours ago, noone said:

Kye, this thread just reminded me I have a FD mount Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconvertor  with 7 elements I think and when the helicoid is not wound out, it acts as a 2x teleconvertor and when wound out it is a 1:1 macro convertor with some 50mm lenses (even greater with a shorter lens or lower magnification with a longer lens).

I have not used it for ages but just trying it with my Tokina 60-120 2.8, it gives me a 120-240 5.6 fully wound in and I actually think it is better than my old Tamron 80-250 at or near 250.   I might be completely off and just a feeling but a GOOD teleconvertor can still be ok and some of the 7 element ones are ok (I have three of these things, the others being a 2x 7 element in Pentax mount and a 3x one also Pentax that does degrade IQ a bit more due to being 3x rather than 2).     Macro is an added bonus with them and a further bonus is you can reverse a lens onto them for even greater macro including some quite ridiculous magnifications but as teleconvertor they can be ok and they can be found quite cheap now.   There are also 5 element ones but I would tend to avoid those.

Crap, I forgot to do my homework investigating my TC.  

I actually shot a bunch of stuff, working on a secret project, so insert mystery sound effects here.

Will investigate.  I was thinking all I need is to shoot a resolution chart 1km away, then realised how ridiculous that is.  I'll see if I can find something that far away that can substitute 🙂 

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I know, thats why I said I "only" needed 800mm as the cricket was centre based ?

"Only" is right!

I don't know what it is, but the play always seems to be occurring in a large arc around wherever I end up sitting.  Play seems to spend a ridiculous amount of time going up and down the other side of the field, or in the middle, but I can almost not recall even half-a-dozen times when I felt insecure sitting in a chair about 1-2m back from the boundary line because play was nearby, and I'm talking over the period of the last few years.  I made that comment to my wife and she was also quite perplexed about it, and considering that she often takes great delight in proving me incorrect about things, I take her lack of ridicule in the occasion to verify my observations!