Steadicam/gimbal with vest

yiomo

I am looking for the most affordable (but descent) option to purchase a new vest system for filming long takes(fiction filmmaking). It can either incorporate a gimbal or steadicam type. I do not mind spending some time learning to use it. But I would expect to be able to have good results after a couple of months. Mainly for dolly in/out and tracking shots. 

The solutions I have found so far are the following:

Flycam Galaxy Vest + Flycam Redking ~ €600
Ronin S + Steadimate -S 15 ~ €1500
Ronin S + Flycam Galaxy Vest ~ €750. ( the problem with this solution is that it offers just support and does not have the yoke that provides mechanical 3 axis movement)
Perhaps Weebil -S with a mod to attach it on a vest.
Any idea if the Flycam Vista ii arm/vest is worth the double price over the Galaxy solution?

What are your suggestions? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I always recommend a mechanical gimbal (Steadicam style) over an electronic one if you have the time and space to use it. It takes some time to learn how to use it, but you have a lot more control in the long run. In addition, the motion produced is much more fluid and natural. I find that most electronic gimbals have sterile movement, especially on pans. The only shots I like better with electronic gimbals are static shots where you really want it as still as possible and can't use a tripod.

Another benefit of the mechanical gimbal is that it's a dead simple, durable hunk of metal. You can tear it down into small pieces for storage, you don't have to worry about firmware updates, battery life, getting it wet, or making sure it doesn't flop around and break itself when powered off.

In my opinion, the gimbal is much more important than the vest/arm. You can get by without a vest for most shots, it's just heavy and tiring, even with a tiny camera. If you are using a wide lens, slight up and down motion is a lot harder to notice than even minor changes in angle, and inertia keeps bobbing to a minimum anyway. Of course, having a vest/arm is better than not having one, but personally I'd invest more in the gimbal.

I have a Glidecam HD 4000. The only other mechanical gimbal I've used extensively is the Glidecam 4000 Pro (lower end model). The difference is night and day. The HD is easy to balance, and just "works" whereas the Pro was NEVER stable no matter what I did. The general consensus on the internet is that cheaper gimbals (mostly from India) such as Flycam are not as good as Glidecams--I don't have personal experience, but I'd get hands on experience comparing it to a Glidecam HD before buying. Especially since I got my HD4000 used for $150, it can be very affordable for high quality.

+1 on the Glidecam recommendation. Ive been using a HD-2000 for a few years and it has never failed me. A mechanical takes longer to learn how to use but it gives much more natural results. You also don't have to worry about powering it! 

I also wouldn't recommend any of the cheaper mechanical gimbals. I used a fly cam for a shoot once and it broke on the 2nd day. You can get a used glidecam very cheap nowadays!

Thank you both. Several reviews show the Flycam Redking almost identical to the latest Glidecam signature edition that costs 4-5 times more.

Also, in terms of price Glidecam Smooth Shooter vest + Glidecam Devin Signature Gimbal cost around €2500. This is Steadicam Brand territory and actually more expensive than the Steadimate-S 15 and Ronin S combo.

33 minutes ago, yiomo said:

Thank you both. Several reviews show the Flycam Redking almost identical to the latest Glidecam signature edition that costs 4-5 times more.

Are the reviews from people who have used both and think they handle the same? How much experience do these people have? The Flycam could be perfect, I don't have firsthand experience. But just because they have similar number of stars doesn't mean anything for quality.

If you could get your hands on both and see for yourself that would be ideal, I'd love to hear back if you do because it's always nice to see budget brands increasing their quality.