Pentax K-3, will it shoot raw video!?

Julian

The Pentax K-3 was featured on the Ricoh website. It's taken offline, but you can still find the page in Googles cache.

The spec sheet shows something very interesting:

gallery_20742_64_50011.jpg

The strange thing is that on the main page that outlines the headlines of the camera, there is no mention whatsoever on raw video:

• Professional H.264 video

Enhance your video recording experience with full HD movie capture in the H.264 format (60p/50p/30p/24p), also including the ability to switch from still image to video recording with the flip of a dedicated switch.  Equipped with a headphone terminal and stereo microphone terminal for external microphone connection. The user can also adjust the audio recording level manually and monitor sound levels during recording.

So, I'd say there is a big chance that they made an error in the specifications list...

On the other hand. This would be a great move for Pentax to gain some market share. I know, raw shooting probably isn't a big market, but Pentax really doesn't sell a lot of camera's...

Also interesting is the 'selectable AA-filter'

• Selectable Anti-Aliasing Filter

Enjoy the world’s first selectable anti-aliasing filter, giving the user the ability to easily toggle anti-aliasing functionality on or off, for supreme resolution and zero limitations. This breakthrough technology eliminates the need to commit to either supreme resolution or superior moiré control, by providing both options in a single camera body.  Newly developed for the K-3, the anti-aliasing simulator* applies microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at the subpixel level during image exposure, generating the same level of moiré-reduction effect as an optical anti-aliasing filter. * This function is most effective with a shutter speed of 1/1000 second or slower. This function is not available during HDR shooting.

We'll probably know the answer soon. Official announcement is expected tomorrow I think.

Rumoured price is $1300 for the body.

Also, it has a stabilized sensor. According to Imaging Resource, that works pretty well for video on the previous K-5:

Pentax K5 Video: Image Stabilization

The Pentax K-5's body-based image stabilization can be used when recording movies. Not only does this make any lens you're recording with into an IS model, but we found that the image stabilization worked exceptionally well when recording videos. We've recorded videos with other SLRs using IS lenses, but the level of stabilization available in Pentax's flagship K5 (and its predecessor) seemed better than we're average. Because the Pentax K-5's Shake Reduction system provides such a high degree of stabilization, there's a bit of a "floating" feeling when recording videos with IS enabled: As you move and pan the camera, the video image tends to lag a little behind your motions, "catching up" when you come to a rest. A related IS effect is that the subject can drift up or down or from side to side slightly during recording. This can be slightly disconcerting, but the upside is that your videos will be much more stable than otherwise, even holding the camera at arm's length, or when shooting with a long telephoto lens.

Note, however, that while image stabilization is available for movie capture, one of the unique aspects of Pentax's Shake Reduction design available in still image shooting -- automatic horizon leveling -- doesn't carry over to Movie mode. You can, however, use the composition adjustment function in Movie mode, allowing you to fine-tune image framing in both horizontal and vertical axes, as well as rotationally, but should you choose to do so this will disable image stabilization -- which makes sense, given you'd be unlikely to use composition adjustment unless you were shooting on a tripod.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Actually, looking at it again, I think the mentioned quality levels are related to the still shooting options. They are just placed a bit weird in the table...

Actually, looking at it again, I think the mentioned quality levels are related to the still shooting options. They are just placed a bit weird in the table...

I don't know. Could be, but they already stated that it does raw stills above.

True... but they don't state the jpg quality levels under the still resolutions. Later, under shooting speed, they refer to the 3 star quality level for jpg.

Anyway, It would be kinda crazy if it does shoot raw video and Pentax doesn't make any mention of this on the main page in the PR texts... Even one of the headlines is 'Pro H264 video'.... If it shoots raw, that would be there.

• Administrators

Sony sensor I read. I will believe it when I see it. Toshiba seems more likely. I've also ready conflicting reports over whether it does 60i or 60p. Sony sensor does 60p (as A77) and Toshiba sensor more likely to do 60i (as D7100). Another interesting feature is it does 4K MOV files from the time-lapse interval mode.

First DSLR with 4K... Kind of!