Nikon D800 video dark horse and the unanswered questions

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

Nikon could steal a few 5D Mark III pre-orders just by putting clearer information out and some sample clips. The Nikon D800 has a few tricks up its sleeve which may improve the soft moire ridden video quality we’ve seen so far from it.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7408/nikon-d800-video-dark-horse-and-the-unanswered-questions/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
"Now the D800 has a strange 1.2x crop mode that Nikon haven’t explained properly yet – this could be for APS-H lenses but it could also be for cleaner video."

I already sent you a tweet but I guess I should write here as well.

First of all, There's no such thing as APC-H lenses. It's either FF or APS-C. Even Canon that actually made APS-H cameras (1d series) did not make a single APS-H lens.

1.2x crop mode is nothing new either. D3 has it as well and Nikon doesn't and didn't need to explain it when they introduced it. It was to level with strength of 1d series. Since they decided to use FF sensor for max. ISO performance, they lacked that extra punch sport shooters desire. A simple crop mode took care of it so there it is.

After downloading and looking at the QT file off vimeo. The sloMo footage the photographer states is 720/60 has noticeable jaggies (02:33) from the extra downscaling while the 1080 footage looks great. Too bad they only put it up in 720x1280 res though.

I'm pretty much already sold on the Nikon D800.  I had High hopes for 5DmkIII, but I think they got trumped by the D800.  I think the Clean HDMI and Crop modes push it over the top for me.  Extreme low light is a plus for the 5DmkII but IMO not over the possibilities of Clean HDMI.  I think Nikon not being constrained by a Pro Video Division has allowed them to make a more robust Camera based on the desires of end users who have been clamoring for Clean HDMI output.

@PAVP: I hear ya. I would wait though whether anyone leans on the MkIII or D800. Until the cams are released to the masses and into the hands of 'non-affiliated' and 'brand-agnostic' shooters will we see the cams pushed and find its limitations. Then we can make some concrete conclusions. I would not pre-order anything if you already have a GH2/MkII. I believe Canon will release a higher mp cam against the d800. Its hard to believe they will just let Nikon have that niche. You might want that. Companies like us to be impulsive. 'Gotta have it now now now...'. I am neutral and in no rush. I hope to check these out at NAB.

• Administrators
I really just care about resolution since the cameras are so close in other aspects. I have crop on GH2 don't need it on full frame really, since it makes noise worse.

HDMI on D800 will be only thing that swings it for me. If the image quality through that is better than 5D Mark III it is big news. Unlikely but possible. However, it is a bad omen that Nikon have tried so hard to prevent footage shot via HDMI being out in the open.

It is a big improvement for Nikon in video land though. They have clearly taken notice of the reason for such high 5D Mark II sales.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=377.msg2386#msg2386 date=1331333628]
I really just care about resolution since the cameras are so close in other aspects. I have crop on GH2 don't need it on full frame really, since it makes noise worse.

HDMI on D800 will be only thing that swings it for me. If the image quality through that is better than 5D Mark III it is big news. Unlikely but possible. However, it is a bad omen that Nikon have tried so hard to prevent footage shot via HDMI being out in the open.

It is a big improvement for Nikon in video land though. They have clearly taken notice of the reason for such high 5D Mark II sales.
[/quote]

Quote from: Axilrod on March 10, 2012, 10:38:38 AM
Quote from: Shawn_Lights on March 10, 2012, 10:04:08 AM
I expect it to be in the $4,000 - $6,000 range to compete with the FS100. The C300 competes with the F3.

+1, just because it's 4k doesn't mean it's going to be absurdly expensive.  Technology is getting cheaper by the day, and it's just a DSLR body with a different sensor.  If you took a 1DX ($6800), removed the 12FPS, the AF system, and the mirror (in favor of evf) and swap the sensor.  I mean a true video DSLR that all of the photography features are removed from.  I just don't see what you could add to that camera to justify a $10k price tag.  Absolutely no way it will be more than the C300 though, I'll bet anything on that.

I feel like the only reason they even previewed that camera at the C300 event was to appease the "little people" that were disappointed that the C300 was way out of their price range.  I mean why show a product that early in development and take away the surprise from an official announcement?

This worries me a lot. Am I the only person in the world who wants an awesome hybrid camera? What I was hoping the 1DX would be. There's no headphones and no clean hdmi out. It's an awesome stills camera though. Then if you want more video features you have to jump (if you stay with canon) to the C300 which can't take a great photograph.

I don't want a cheap 4k concept camera. I want a $12-$13k sick HYBRID DSLR that does everything we know canon is capable of doing at this price range. I work in some extreme environments and my clients include Red Bull; I'm not usually in a position to have two bodies, or even two photographers, in some locations because sometimes you get the shot by pure magic. With Canon EVERY SHOOT HAS BECOME A COMPROMISE.

So I was rather hoping the concept camera would be the top of their hybrid line. From many comments here I'd say I might be wrong, or that the date has nothing to do with the physical camera but a film. Maybe canon won't make this camera because my segment is too small. I think it's because they sell pro video gear too.

I have four busted 5D mkiis and have to reinvest right now. (I also have a broken 5D underwater housing) The timing is very interesting for me right now. RIGHT NOW the best hybrid camera appears, to me, to be the Nikon D4. And part of me is suspicious that Nikon have decided that because they don't produce video cameras at all, they aren't going to hold back.

I've pre-ordered two D4s and some glass and will see how that fares.

DISCLAIMER: (1) I am not trying to start some sort of Nikon / Canon war here. I am really just expressing my frustration at what might seem to be a unique situation (not IMO at least). I am VERY interested to hear from others in a similar situation. (2) My studio does a lot of commercial work too an we've enjoyed the relatively high bit rate on the Canon 5D mkii despite the moire etc. see our work at [url=http://www.jtography.com]www.jtography.com[/url]

I'm only entertaining Nikon because we'll use the atoms ninjas on safer sets and in studio for clean hdmi - Something I felt that canon out to have offered us right now. Oh and I'm looking forward to sharing the live view on clients' iPads on set too. I felt that was a neat way of circumnavigating the small screen issues of DSLRs. ...there were a lot of factors.

Thoughts?