Canon EOS R - Nikon Z6 - Canon C200... Color Matching

DBounce

Today I had a go at matching the Canon EOS R and Nikon Z6 to the Canon C200. I shot the EOS R in C-Log at FHD, UHD and UHD with the 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 EF-S lens. The Nikon Z6 was shot in UHD mode with a flat picture profile; whilst the Canon C200 was shot in 8-Bit C-Log to the SD card. I'm no colorist, but I believe matching these cameras in post in possible. Please let me know your thoughts. 

I think this demonstration may be useful for anyone eying up either the EOS R... or the Z6, with hopes of using them with a C200 at some point. I create these test as part of my evaluation process. I can say for me the Canon is so far easier to work with. As a mostly one man band, the great AF, in all lighting conditions, coupled with the flip out screen, makes for stress free operation. That said, the Nikon is a pretty great camera. Take a peak and post back here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well no surprise the C200 looks the best, I think followed by the EOS-R. But none are just hands down better. So proves the playing field has leveled out this year more than anytime. So you can be pretty happy with any, and I would imagine if you still had the X-T3 it might have embarrassed a few of the cameras.  Now with this ProRes Raw coming out if they all sort of jump on board it could be on paper more even.

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well no surprise the C200 looks the best, I think followed by the EOS-R. But none are just hands down better. So proves the playing field has leveled out this year more than anytime. So you can be pretty happy with any, and I would imagine if you still had the X-T3 it might have embarrassed a few of the cameras.  Now with this ProRes Raw coming out if they all sort of jump on board it could be on paper more even.

I don't think the Fuji would embarrass any of these cameras. Though the Fuji is a great camera. The bar has truly been raised.

If not for the AF performance the Nikon would be amazing. Looking back at that video,  two notes:

1. I screwed up with the C200 in the scene at around the 2 minute mark... where all three cameras are shown. I was setting up the Nikon and was very close to the lens of the C200, so it was constantly hunting to try to get focus; so I switched off the AF. I didn't discover this until later. So the focus on the C200 is a bit off.

2. The Nikon with face detect AF enabled and set to optimal settings was out of focus the entire time. I moved around in front of it,  hoping it would pick up on my face... but clearly it never did. I could not see the back of the camera and did not bother with connecting the Ninja V as I wanted to understand what to expect when traveling light. 

As it stands,  I think the EOS R has the edge over the Nikon in usability and practicality. The Nikon can produce great imagery... I have seen it do this. But you really have to be on top of it. The EOS R can mostly be trusted to just perform. The C200 is s C200... we know if holds focus. It only failed as I was distracted by the Nikon trying to get it setup.

With IQ as good as it is, perhaps the focus ? now shifts to easy of use, setup and handling. In my experience those qualities can be the difference between carrying a camera or leaving it behind... the difference between a stressful shoot or a pleasant one. When I'm out casually, I do frequently like to take a camera along. But seldom would I also take a monitor/recorder. So a flip screen is important. I think it's this reason that I tend to stare clear of small cameras that require rigging to be functional. It simply defeats the purpose.

That is why I would prefer the GH5s over the PK4. I will concede that the PK4 has a better output, well probably a Lot better with the Raw and their CS, but if I am going to buy a small camera I want a small camera. I don't want a cage, and a battery, and a SSD, and on and on. I might as well have a C100, or a FS5, or my AF100 back. And no I don't want to carry 5 batteries in my pocket. I did that with my A7s. It sucks to always be out of power at the wrong time, or half way through, or walking around looking like you need to sneak behind a tree to address the problem with the bulge in your pocket!

But sure you ought to just stay with the EOS-R since it will match your 1D mk II. and C200 Color Science wise, and be able to use the same lenses. Seems like a no brainer other than that damn crop thingy. Too bad it was not at least a s35 crop. But for 1080p no problem. None of these, well no camera is perfect so I would go with the one that at least fits in the best.

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Would be interested to see a Dynamic range test compared to the C200. 

I’m certain that we already know the outcome. Man this Nikon Z6 has me confused. 12 bit raw output. They are truly unburdened by a cinema line and can just offer anything they please. If not for this news the choice to stay Canon would be easy. But I’m doing repeated test back to back against the Canon and honestly the Nikon is better on most counts. But not flippy screen and AF are it’s Achilles’ heel... and slow glass. But it’s impressive on all other counts.

BlackMagic Design should be worried... I can’t see too many people opting for a P4k over a fully weather sealed Nikon that is smaller, with better battery life, awesome photo mode and VR (IBIS). 

1 minute ago, DBounce said:

I’m certain that we already know the outcome. Man this Nikon Z6 has me confused. 12 bit raw output. They are truly unburdened by a cinema line and can just offer anything they please. If not for this news the choice to stay Canon would be easy. But I’m doing repeated test back to back against the Canon and honestly they Nikon is better on most counts. But not flippy screen and AF are it’s Achilles’ heel... and slow glass. But it’s impressive on all other counts.

I haven't seen much on Nikon Dynamic range, what would the outcome be?