Atomos Ninja V modules - Now All Your Stills Cameras Have Timecode!

IronFilm

@buggz I tried Fairlight when it was first included, and found it very unstable. I didn't have any actual crashes, but audio would regularly cut off or have like a 24 dB attenuations in 1 or more channels, with absolutely no way to get it back to normal other than moving the contents of that track to a new track and then deleting the old one. This would happen in projects where I didn't touch Fairlight or any audio controls at all.

I've been using Reaper for a while and really like it as well, so I have no plans to switch--yet! I love the level of customization you can do to everything, from layout to hotkeys, etc. I also find it to have a very intuitive layout and menu structure. It's usually pretty easy for me to do things I've never done before because it just works the way I expect.

However, I haven't been able to find much information about timecode in Reaper, other than syncing for live performances.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Thanks for the explanation! I had a suspicion syncing was usually done before editing. However, on my projects, I AM sound post ? Which gives me a lot of flexibility in making my own workflow.

Then why not sync up files from day one? Mute all but the boom track, and visual edit to that. Then dig into the rest of the tracks when you're focusing on the sound phase

1 hour ago, buggz said:

I really like Reaper, I paid for mine, and have been using for a long time, many plugins, I love the iZotope ones.

I'm enjoying seeing the love for the Reaper DAW here as well! 
Although I'm a bare bones sound post noob, what little I do do, is with Reaper 

13 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Then why not sync up files from day one? Mute all but the boom track, and visual edit to that. Then dig into the rest of the tracks when you're focusing on the sound phase

Because I usually clean tracks in audition or sound forge, and render those out to new files. For example, I might take a boom file, and then render out one version with noise reduction for dialog, and then another that gets some of the effects sounding right, etc. I cant do that cleaning stage before picture lock, and I don't want to mess around with replacing audio files in resolve just to send updated xmls over to reaper every time I need to add a new file in. It would be way easier to just drag that new file into reaper and have it auto align.

9 hours ago, buggz said:

You don't use the Fairlight audio tools in Resolve?

I haven't as yet, it used to crash on me, but I see now it doesn't, I'll have to try it.

I really like Reaper, I paid for mine, and have been using for a long time, many plugins, I love the iZotope ones.

I use them pretty extensively, and don't have any issues. My biggest gripe is that while they gave us normalization, it's peak normalization, and that's all but useless for modern video. Thus, I have to use a plugin, and since you can't offline plugins it takes way to damn long!