Are there any F/2.8 FF Zooms Sharper than the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8?

andrgl

Currently on the lookout for a FF zoom that is sharper than the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 wide open.

Need a lens with a larger focal length range. 

I thought the Tokina f/2.6 was an amazing lens but I don't think the aperture is constant and it's awfully soft open.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, andrgl said:

Currently on the lookout for a FF zoom that is sharper than the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 wide open.

Need a lens with a larger focal length range. 

For what camera?      Just about all of them would be on the latest high resolution FF cameras.     If you are using on the same camera, then that would get interesting.

The highest scoring for sharpness 2.8 FF zoom on DXO is the Sony FE 70-200 GM OSS lens on the A7Rii and it actually come in 12th for sharpness out of all combinations of lens and camera tested and ahead of even a lens like the Otus 55 1.4 on the Canon 5Dsr (which is 13th for sharpness).

In shorter zooms, the highest scoring for sharpness combination is the Sony 16-35 2.8 GM on the A7Rii (40th overall).

Even the slower Sony FE 28-70 kit lens scores higher for sharpness on an A7Rii than the 18-35 1.8 on any camera it is tested on but put it on other cameras and it scores  lower for sharpness.

The highest the 18-35 1.8 gets is on the Canon 760D where it comes in as a combination at number 1298 followed by number 1356 on a Nikon D500 (but they still score higher than is possible for ANY lens on my 12mp FF A7s).

https://www.dxomark.com/lenses/launched-between-1987-and-2018/launch_price-from-0-to-13000-usd#hideAdvancedOptions=false&viewMode=list&yDataType=rankDxo

If using the FF lenses on a camera like my A7s though that is another matter (12mp A7s is not tested with any lenses)so it isn't just a lens by itself (unless maybe you are using it as a telescope?).

I wouldn't worry about sharpness as long as a lens is sharp enough.