Thoughts on the Litepanels Brick One?

Ty Harper

Anyone with thoughts or experience with the Litepanels Brick One?

I currently have a Litepanels Astra EP Bi-Color and am wondering if two of these Brick Ones would make for a solid 3 point interview lighting kit, or are there newer, more affordable options that might pair well with an Astra EP? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would pick something with a bit more light control ability. Like a spot LED with barn door that I can control or have ability to soften it with shooting it through a reflector or something else. 

My  needs are different I need something to travel with and setup different lights. I just ordered one of these to test. Should be here on Friday and I can play with it a bit. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1305546-REG/genaray_cd_contender_daylight.html

He does a lot of videos on different light setup, you might find something interesting in his reviews: 

https://www.youtube.com/user/dslrvideoshooter

18 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

I really don't want to have to be mixing LED brand

That totally make sense. But do keep in mind, that LEDs change from generation to generation. The phosphor formula changes to improve CRI, etc. So even if you have the same brand, if the actual LEDs are not from the same batch, they may not have 100% the same spectrum.  But from having the ability to use the same accessories, power supply, etc. it totally makes sense. 

I got my light today. There is so many things to love about this light (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1305546-REG/genaray_cd_contender_daylight.html)  but I wanted something lighter so I can put in my luggage and travel with it. But it's just a tad too heavy. If you don't need to put it on luggage for traveling it's a great system and nicely constructed. 

3 hours ago, salim said:

That totally make sense. But do keep in mind, that LEDs change from generation to generation. The phosphor formula changes to improve CRI, etc. So even if you have the same brand, if the actual LEDs are not from the same batch, they may not have 100% the same spectrum.  But from having the ability to use the same accessories, power supply, etc. it totally makes sense. 

I got my light today. There is so many things to love about this light (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1305546-REG/genaray_cd_contender_daylight.html)  but I wanted something lighter so I can put in my luggage and travel with it. But it's just a tad too heavy. If you don't need to put it on luggage for traveling it's a great system and nicely constructed. 

Interesting. Do you have a clue if they sell them in Europe? Still not completely happy with the choices (or the price of choices!) here in Europe. Did you try the Godox we were discussing a month ago, by any chance?

How loud is their fun? It is an issue for interviews.

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Did you try the Godox

No did not try it. 

The fan is audible. I think if the light is within 2-3 meters of a shotgun mic it could possibly be picked up. But I could have lived with and put the light further away. However, the spot is only down to 25 degree,  I wish it could do 20 or better 15 degree and I wish it was lighter. 

They tried to make a clever design. And it is pretty well made. But it comes at a cost, which is weight. There is some kind of a heavy heat sink inside, the body is partially metal and once you add all the stuff to it, it becomes to heavy to travel with, unless you want have a few pieces of luggage. 

Now I'm looking at the Aputure 20.  It's not as powerful, but it seems lighter and it spots to 20 degrees which is better than 25. The daylight is rather cool. But I wanted to use it as a kicker mostly in the project I had in mind, so I can put on a CTB gel and get nice bluish kick hair light and use some thing softer as a key. So that's my plan for now and how I'm pre-visualizing my shots for now.