GH5s has an OLPF?

AaronChicago

Alex Mitchell and John Brawley from BMCuser have been confident in this fact, and a Panasonic rep confirmed it via email:

"The Gh5 does not have the Optical low pass flter however the GH5s does indeed have an optical low pass filter. that is fact one of the differences between the models.

Thank you."

Sincerely,
Customer Relations
Panasonic Canada Inc

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Alex Mitchell and John Brawley from BMCuser have been confident in this fact, and a Panasonic rep confirmed it via email:

"The Gh5 does not have the Optical low pass flter however the GH5s does indeed have an optical low pass filter. that is fact one of the differences between the models.

Thank you."

Sincerely,
Customer Relations
Panasonic Canada Inc

Probably on of the reasons the GH5s has a softer look to it to make it look a bit less Digital looking, not counting a newer Color Science.. Plus I doubt anyone is going to complain about less Moire'

It's simply logic: If you downsample the video signal, you can reduce or eliminate moiré through clever processing. If you read out the sensor 1:1, moiré will stay. (Blackmagic's cameras always been have a good example for this.) So it makes sense to put an OLPF in front of such a native 4K sensor. And you see where Blackmagic is cutting costs.

9 hours ago, Neufeldt said:

I should certainly hope it does. Shooting sub-4k and upscaling as opposed to shooting above-4k and downscaling definitely calls for one.

What do you consider sub 4K? It shoots at the intended resolution, 1:1, no upscaling required.

I haven't looked specifically for it when reviewing my footage, but I did read somewhere that it did have the OLPF. I believe it was in a review, so someone got that info from somewhere.

1 hour ago, Lux Shots said:

What do you consider sub 4K? It shoots at the intended resolution, 1:1, no upscaling required.

I haven't looked specifically for it when reviewing my footage, but I did read somewhere that it did have the OLPF. I believe it was in a review, so someone got that info from somewhere.

I never heard about it. And I kind of looked at a decent amount of info on the GH5s. Was considering getting one till this new BM jumped up! For half the price and end up with a Studio edition of Resolve. I can't turn that down. But I think for the "normal" user the GH5s is probably the way to go. Add a Gimbal, and a SB and you are Golden. I think a Gimbal is easier to use than IBIS . Gimbal works one handed on a camera that small. Holding a camera with two hands walking just seems wonky to me. Running maybe yeah.

On the BM no AF is sort of a bummer, no Anamorphic on top of it, etc., etc.. The BM is more of a Indie camera, the GH5s an all arounder. Jack of all trades.

19 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

Sorry, careless writing on my part. Bayer-4k straight to 4k instead of >4k downscaled.