Sound Devices MixPre10M announced (a MixPre10T without the "T", for Musicians)

IronFilm

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10m

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10m/feature-comparison

The MixPre-10M musician's feature set includes:

Overdubbing – including Punch In/Out
    Track Laying – up to 12 tracks
    Bouncing - to allow for more tracks
    Premium Quality Effects – Vintage Reverbs & Vocal Air
    Metronome
    Render (Export) – for sharing files

For existing MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T users: Sound Devices will soon be releasing a studio-grade Musician Plugin adding a new dimension of recording capabilities to the already versatile devices. For US$99, the Musician Plugin will feature all the musician-inspired features, including overdub, track laying, reverb, metronome and more.

“Sound Devices has a rich heritage of employees who are also musicians – so the MixPre-10M is truly a product designed by musicians for musicians,” says Matt Anderson, CEO of Sound Devices, LLC. “It’s an incredible device that simplifies songwriting and production to allow musicians to focus solely on creating and recording music the way it was before computers took over. With built-in overdub, metronome, and effects like premium-quality reverb and vocal air, the travel-size MixPre-10M gives musicians the ability to record 12 tracks anywhere inspiration hits – from a tour bus, backstage, to a hotel room or live performance.”

The MixPre-10M retails for US$1499 and will be available in late March

Written up my thoughts at the end of my new blog post:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound-devices-mixpre10m-announced-a-mixpre10t-without-the-t-for-musicians/

In short, this is not the recorder I'm seeking.  And I doubt it will seriously interest anyone else in this forum. 

However it is still good news for SD users in general. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Opinions will of course vary a lot on this point (just like everything else before as well!), but in my personal view the Ultrasync ONE offers the best possible mix of size/features/cost. 

However having a Tentacle or two for DSLR shoots are nice with their built in scratch mic. 

You might also look around for secondhand original Tentacles, as you'd just be losing out mainly on bluetooth and the "locking" ish connection.

3 hours ago, salim said:

Thanks! You almost need subtitles for those of us not used to the kiwi accent ;)

Welllllll..... most kiwis don't necessarily think I have a kiwi accent! Even though I was born in NZ and have lived here my entire life (same for both my parents as well! Both kiwis). 

3 hours ago, salim said:

I was hoping you would have gone into how you setup your rig with these stuff in your videos. 

I've done a fair few videos on other topics about sound, or is there something specific you want? 

To go step by step through everything in my mixing bag on a typical film shoot? Not sure if I have done that, probably should. Especially now I have the Orca OR30 bag, which makes it much much easier to show to the camera what is in it. 

I have been meaning to do soon a video showing how different it is now between what my bag looks like set up in the Zoom's F4 specific bag vs in my new Orca bag.

I am thinking about the Orca 30 as well. Is this the new model with the detachable front pouch? Will that be good with the 10t, I am wondering!

Do such a video!!

Tentacles I guess is a safe bet for most people, but for easy stuff, Plural Eyes or sync is post is always cheaper.

17 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I am thinking about the Orca 30 as well. Is this the new model with the detachable front pouch?

Sadly not :-( But because I got it secondhand I don't mind, I got it at a very good price! :-D

Will that be good with the 10t, I am wondering!

Not sure..... but I'm skeptical? As I half think it might be a teeny bit too wide. It would be a close cut thing though if it can fit??

Do such a video!!

Headed out in five minutes to shoot an epic shotgun comparison for my YT channel. 

Tentacles I guess is a safe bet for most people, but for easy stuff, Plural Eyes or sync is post is always cheaper.

"Cheaper". Only if you don't count labour! As if you do, then it is waaaaaaaaay more expensive than a Tentacle.