Vimeo x Youtube high bit depth workflow ?

kidzrevil

It’s no secret that Vimeo & Youtube supports HDR. Vimeo has also announced that they support 10 bit color as well. Is it possible to upload high bit depth video from a Panasonic GH5 or Canon Raw in SDR to these platforms as well ? If you already produce footage in HDR or 10 bit what is your workflow ?

F26B2656-3BE5-442C-9EE7-2033E174E73B.png

DD03163F-B0DC-401C-8CEF-54BB721DD6A8.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 20.2.2018 at 4:16 PM, jonpais said:

@kidzrevil Here's an HDR10 workflow from Mystery Box. Not for the faint of heart!

And here's my workflow for working with HLG in Final Cut Pro. Only problem is, the scopes in Final Cut aren't any good for working with HLG,  just one reason why I'm thinking of either round tripping or switching over to Resolve.

Round tripping would be an option, but if I remember correctly, as well 10-bit as HLG and 4k (the limit is UHD) clips from the GH5 are not supported in the free version of Resolve. And it makes no difference whether you created Optimized Media (=ProRes) before or not, because Resolve will refer to the original media in the roundtrip. Your only free option was to create ProRes copies outside of FCP X. Or, but this is a little awkward, extract the Optimized Media from the Library bundle and re-import them to a new Library. I also feel that it would be better to work in ProResHQ, and you can't choose that for Optimized Media.

Is the fact that the histogram of the FCP scopes doesn't switch to nits in an HDR Library a bug? Another color-related bug? I'm not sure. Note that in this Ripple Training the histogram isn't even mentioned, it's the waveform in RGB parade:

And, apart from that, the known Color Wheels issue (behaving weird in rec_709) isn't an issue for HDR/rec_2020. And the comparatively simple workflow described above is for the faint-of-heart. 

(this is redundant for jonpais, I know)