Zoom F1 recorder

IronFilm

30 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Probably! But it is hard to compare two different products when neither have been even announced yet! (they might not even have started development yet on them! ha)

The price difference between those two, an hypothetical F4 competitor from Tascam/Marantz, and the new SD 600 series with wireless capabilities on board, would be something like 6.000NZ$! One will (or has to) be close to 600euros territory, and the other near 7,000 probably! 

To get a feeling about price differences in US and in this EU country that I live, MixPre 6 is 1338euros (2260NZ$) and in US it is 899$ (1230NZ$). You get the point. Zaxcom is even more exotic, I asked once the local dealer and he mentioned some astronomical prices, and a few months waiting for delivery.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The price difference between those two, an hypothetical F4 competitor from Tascam/Marantz, and the new SD 600 series with wireless capabilities on board, would be something like 6.000NZ$! One will (or has to) be close to 600euros territory, and the other near 7,000 probably! 

Indeed, it will be MUCH more expensive! And there are a lot of unknown variables. 

But let's say hypothetically a few numbers to pin down this example:

Perhaps this future Tascam/Roland/Marantz product has "50% more than a F4/F8", and thus the company feels justifies also a price which is a 100% higher! (remember, neither the Tascam HS-P82 or the Roland R4 Pro was as cheap as an F8 when they first launched)

This would still be a *LOT* cheaper than a future Sound Devices 600 series product. And I could quite reasonably think this is a worth upgrade that also "saves" me a lot of money. 

Alternatively, perhaps this never happens? (again, also very likely)

When the future Sound Devices 600 series product comes out I might feel there is no other worth upgrade path for me from the F4. Well, it is either that or a similar large leap in cost to a Zaxcom/Aaton/Sonosax, or do a semi sideways slide into a F8 / MixPre6 / MixPre10T which is overall neither here or there. 

And the cost while steep, should hopefully be justifiable by that point in my career (especially when you consider the per year cost spread out over 5yrs+).

So overall at the end of the analysis, it is easy to see myself go either way.

To get a feeling about price differences in US and in this EU country that I live, MixPre 6 is 1338euros (2260NZ$) and in US it is 899$ (1230NZ$). You get the point. 

Blade your MPs/governments! They're the ones who put in place very high taxes and regulations which lead to the higher costs. 

Zaxcom is even more exotic, I asked once the local dealer and he mentioned some astronomical prices, and a few months waiting for delivery.

Yeah, we have a dealer in NZ for Zaxcom, but I'm not even sure if we can go into anywhere in the country to see demo models (although I think so? But my point is, I'm not even sure!). 

Sonosax for instance only last year got a dealer in NZ, and they don't have a single SX-R4+ in stock! (the one and only in the country is owned by a friend of mine who got the local sound tech company to set themselves up as a dealer, just so that he would have somewhere local to buy it from! :-o )

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

Indeed, it will be MUCH more expensive! And there are a lot of unknown variables. 

But let's say hypothetically a few numbers to pin down this example:

Perhaps this future Tascam/Roland/Marantz product has "50% more than a F4/F8", and thus the company feels justifies also a price which is a 100% higher! (remember, neither the Tascam HS-P82 or the Roland R4 Pro was as cheap as an F8 when they first launched)

This would still be a *LOT* cheaper than a future Sound Devices 600 series product. And I could quite reasonably think this is a worth upgrade that also "saves" me a lot of money. 

Alternatively, perhaps this never happens? (again, also very likely)

When the future Sound Devices 600 series product comes out I might feel there is no other worth upgrade path for me from the F4. Well, it is either that or a similar large leap in cost to a Zaxcom/Aaton/Sonosax, or do a semi sideways slide into a F8 / MixPre6 / MixPre10T which is overall neither here or there. 

And the cost while steep, should hopefully be justifiable by that point in my career (especially when you consider the per year cost spread out over 5yrs+).

So overall at the end of the analysis, it is easy to see myself go either way.

Haha! Indeed! In true NZ logic, that is true! In pure Mediterranean logic, there is no way for someone getting any salary under the top, to really afford anything like that. Maybe in NZ going middle to top, is enough (like most other civilized countries), but here, is a different part of the world! Remember, the costs are proportional, I mean, you have the Deity to drive through your Sonosax? That would be blasphemy! I seriously consider buying the MKH50 and the 10T, and call it a day, I mean, call it a few good years!

35 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Remember, the costs are proportional, I mean, you have the Deity to drive through your Sonosax?

Nah, I have a Sanken CS3e for a mythical future Sonosax ;-)

An Aputure Deity is just there as an emergency back up.

37 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Haha! Indeed! In true NZ logic, that is true! In pure Mediterranean logic, there is no way for someone getting any salary under the top, to really afford anything like that.

I'm sure I could afford a 633/664/etc if I really wanted to. 

Like I said, I otherwise live like Scrooge McDuck himself!