3.5k Canon 5D Mark III raw video with Magic Lantern and latest updates

Andrew Reid

Well I get the feeling they're stepping up their game a little bit, they postponed the 70D and latest rumors said it might come out with the 7D2 sensor instead of the SL1 one.

I'm not saying I expect them to give us raw video though, I'm just saying that it's silly to be wishing for a 1 second raw burst. I understand it's quite cool to dig that feature out of an "old" camera, but that would be a pretty lame feature to support officially, or to be wishing for in a new camera, especially when you have a $1k 2k raw camera out there now. Kind of.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am sure they'd rather make $20 per unit more margin than stick in more RAM to please our small niche.

These days, they could probably add more than twice the RAM for less money than what the 5D3's RAM cost at the time, so it's not even about that anymore.

But maybe you'll want something better than 8bit ? So, double that RAM.

You are confusing 8 bit, with 8 MBs. I'd assume it would have to be the native bit-depth (14) and use smaller res (but still bigger than 1080)

At this day and age I don't see why a 7D2 couldn't shoot 2k raw for constant video if that's what Canon decided to, not just 10 seconds, hell the BMD pocket camera does it for half the price, so why the skepticism?

Asking for a 1 second raw burst, or even a 10 second raw burst, is thinking extremely small, if you're gonna wish, wish big, we don't want canon or anyone else thinking that's all we wish for, do we?

Keeping the time limit on the raw burst allows Canon to preserve market differentiation with their C-line. And we all know how much Canon likes market differentiation. :angry:

You are confusing 8 bit, with 8 MBs. I'd assume it would have to be the native bit-depth (14) and use smaller res (but still bigger than 1080)

I misread, tought you said 8Mpx crops. Was just weird to have a picture cropped to megabytes instead of megapixels....

8Mpx at 8bits would be 8MB.

So here's a 1.8" SSD http://www.amazon.co.uk/KingSpec-1-8-inch-50-pin-Solid-State/dp/B007PFI5HS

But what is the Tanboo exactly? I only see one connector on it - is that 50 pin CF or standard CF?

Write speeds seem low. IDE is not as fast as SATA. I'm not sure it will work, but interesting.

Sorry I missed this post. I think it's just a casing. SSD disk is inside that's why you don't see a second connector. I'm not sure though and didn't notice it was IDE and not SATA. So it's not good anyway :(.

I've looked around  a little bit more just now and found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24pin-SATA-LIF-SSD-to-1-8-50pin-CF-convert-adapter-Toshiba-SamSung-MacBook-Air-/221152781035?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item337dbba2eb

LIF SSD to 50 pin CF. LIF SSDs found in macbook pros apparently do around 190MB/s (write speed) as in description in here: http://www.fodomart.com/Hard-Drives/Original-For-Toshiba-1-8-LIF-Zif-128GB-SSD-THNS128GG4BMAA-For-Sony-VPCP116KG-For-Macbook-air-MB543-MC233_433741_p2012041809.shtml (someone would have to confirm it though)

SSD to buy in here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toshiba-1-8-128gb-ssd-sata-lif-THNS128GG4BMAA-for-apple-macbook-air-Rev-B-C-/270921719218?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item3f14315db2

I don't think most casual hobbyists would go through this trouble, either, which is why I don't think Canon is crippling anything video-wise (intentionally).

I wouldn't be that sure. I think, especially Sony, they do it very intentionally

Has anyone seen these yet?

lowly internal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7CANqYdhx_U

AWESOME RAW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8Jd6WaqYovA

This looks great, though it's over sharpened a tad in low-frequency areas or excessive HDR processed around the dog (halo)

Here's the place I found it from: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/05/raw-video-canon-5d-mark-iii-24fps/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

@JG,  interesting times now.  They are getting 24 frames/sec for around 700 frames (29 seconds).  On the 5D3, it is 1928×850 and raw.  It is still early.  This is very significant as many know.  Having a raw capable camera with Magic Lantern Programming (all their goodies) would give filmmakers a very robust camera.  Hmm, I may have buy a second camera.  Cheers.

Alex from Magic Lantern quote: ;)

Heh, people got excited without even knowing the big news: g3gg0 just discovered how to use the DMA cropping routines, which just made possible RAW video recording at 1920x1080 at 24fps on 1000x cards.

Technical: we now know how to copy a cropped version of some image buffer at very high speeds (over 700MB/s), and with this trick we can save the video data the card at full speed, without being slowed down by image borders, for example.

1920x1080 RAW video now requires 83MB/s at 24fps, so it should work just fine on 1000x cards. I didn't try it.

So, I've lost my patience and rewritten the lv_rec module from scratch, to use these new routines and to experiment with different buffering algorithms. The new module is called raw_rec and outputs the same file format (RAW files).

Main changes:

- The ring buffer only uses 32MB memory blocks (maximum we can get). Reason: card benchmarks showed higher data rates for large buffers.
- Frame copying is done outside the LiveView task (not sure if it has any effect).
- When the buffer gets full, it skips some frames, rather than stopping.
- Fewer hardcoded things: should be easier to port.
- Resolution presets, from 640x320 to 3592x1320.

Just like lv_rec, this is in very early stages, so you have to compile it yourself.

Source code: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/54537cb85d7d

If you try it, I'd like you to look for any signs of image tearing. The source raw data is single-buffered, but it's possible to make it double-buffered if the vertical sync is less than ideal.

All credits go to g3gg0 - without his reverse engineering work on understanding the image processor, this would have been impossible.

@sandro,

programmer 1% says,

I've not experienced any overheating on either camera.

Trying 6D now. Shit have to recover my pics before I do it...

600D 1280x698 is perfect, no cuts and no more screwed up images. Records over 50 frames... somewhat like 6D did in the beginning with raw burst

This is what g3gg0 had to say,

please dont ask about too many models. we are aware that 550d, 50d, 60d, 6d, 600d, 5d2, 7d, etc are also widely used.
before we start analyzing these models, we want prove our theory by making a reference implementation.

as soon this reference implementation is proven stable, we will advance to these models. wink.gif

current state: trying to make the code as performant, stable and portable as possible.