GH5 Firmware 2.1 bug - Records for 1s

scotchtape

I don't know if it's just me, but I have had this happen twice over the last two days now: press record, camera records for 1 second then stops.

This did not happen prior to the V2 firmware update.

I missed one take the other day, and had to restart an interview today (thankfully I noticed this only after a few minutes of beginning).

These were shot on the 4K 150mbs 8 bit setting (as on original firmware) and sandisk extreme pro UHS-1 95mb/s (again, no problems before the update).

Please make sure your red dot is on!  Anyone know where to contact Panasonic directly about this?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No message, nothing out of the ordinary happens except it stops.

I use dual recording, I don't really have any other appropriate cards, and like the Lexar card issues, it happens out of the blue so there's no way to "test" it... (actually I guess the Lexar one happened pretty frequently so you could kind of test it).

FWIW, I got a lumix (g85) that will occasionally just stops recording. No warning, rhyme, or reason.

Worse, it doesn't save the clip!  Unless I notice that it has indeed dropped the recording --and if I then turn the camera off and then back on, the clip miraculously is saved. 

And it's not a SD card issue. Seen this across various brands/speeds. 

Hardware issue?

I've owned at least five Panasonic cameras including the G85, never had this happen. I installed firmware update v2.1 on the GH5, it runs just fine. AFAIK, I'm not sure if it qualifies as a bug if only two of the thousands of members of one of the largest online communities of Panasonic owners experience a small glitch.

5 hours ago, Orangenz said:

I've seen this on several cameras. I think it's more likely to be that you're actually managing to press the go button twice and it takes a second to get around to doing as instructed and stopping. 

I agree with @Orangenz on this...it's very easy to do...I have a little Olympus TG5 where you can only trigger video from the movie button and it's always user error on my part....(1) there is a way to test for this...stop and start on the camera at home until you fill up the cards..3 second clips...trigger record from the main shutter release button, not the little movie button....if you can repeat the problem, you can contact Panasonic...(2) this is perhaps the most important....roll for a few seconds on EVERY take before action....that's what was done in the days of film when 5 seconds cost real money, but it allows sound to sink, everything to get up to speed and most importantly, you get to see that the camera is running properly for that take...it's good practice on any shoot and you get the take every time.

• 2 years later...