Power GX80 through USB

Anaconda_

Hey guys,

Since so many people here appear to be using GX cameras, does anyone know of a way to power them through a usb? When I plug my camera in, it asks to be turned off to charge. So trying to shoot a time lapse or something on the battery is very limiting. Is there an adapter somewhere that lets you plug into a mains supply?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Hey guys,

Since so many people here appear to be using GX cameras, does anyone know of a way to power them through a usb? When I plug my camera in, it asks to be turned off to charge. So trying to shoot a time lapse or something on the battery is very limiting. Is there an adapter somewhere that lets you plug into a mains supply?

This is the bane of my life recently!

I have to keep the camera powered while I'm testing my controller with it and its a real pain in the arse keeping the batteries charged to get it through the day.

We need this dummy battery for AC power but ideally a version that can take USB to the dummy battery. They do exist but if not then some wire strippers and a donor USB cable will sort it out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00S8W570A/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_198_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SR0ZXJQJ6TGD89BMNC1A&dpPl=1&dpID=71urTNBN2ZL

• Super Members
44 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Isnt that over powered - and does that matter? The GX80 battery is 7.2v and that one is 8.4V

No, its fine. Its based on Panasonic's own DMW-AC8 and DMW-DCC11 system which also has 8.4V coming off the actual supply which the dummy battery then takes care of.

40 minutes ago, Chris Oh said:

dummy battery > http://www.ifootagegear.com/en/Electric-Ray-E1 > USB battery?

Yes, its that kind of thing.

I couldn't remember who did a range of them but I do now and its Ex-Pro.

So they sell the coupler and their own power pack as a package and then you just add more dummy battery types if you've got different cameras.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MXHMOPZ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498831490&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Panasonic%2BDMW-DCC11&th=1