Which 17-50mm f2.8 and which adapter for Sony a6500?

Inazuma

On 3/21/2017 at 11:46 AM, rdouthit said:

I use the Sony 16-50 f/2.8 a-mount on my FS7 almost every day. It's a fantastic lens (when I don't want to use my Sony Zeiss primes.) It's weather sealed, has decent optics and smooth manual focus when you want it (and fast SSM focusing when you don't.) Such a good value, I bought it twice (destroyed the first one shooting a few years of the US rally series... among other things.) It will require a LEA-series adaptor. Get the one without the focus system (LEA3), and it will use the better system built into the 6500.

I previously owned the Zeiss 16-70 E-Mount (APS-C) and that was actually a pretty good lens. It runs about $1k (which is a bit over priced, imho.) It did have a tad too much distortion for me, however, and the manual focus feel was way too numb. Nice sharpness and it should have super-fast AF for photos on the 6500. 

+1

The A-mount 16-50 is a great lens, very sharp and renders nice.

On 3/24/2017 at 1:47 AM, Inazuma said:

Thanks for the info! How about AF-S? Do the lenses pull focus smoothly?

IMO your best option is native E-mount to take full advantage of IBIS and AF, plus it'll be smaller/lighter than any adapted zoom. Don't forget about the 18-105 PZ if you're looking for a standard zoom, its sharp and much cheaper than the 16-70. Personally I like the 16-70 at used prices, most of the hate is from pixel peepers and the bad corners, which will be cropped out when shooting video anyway. Every Sony lens can be had used at great prices from places like Fred Miranda's buy and sell board. I wouldn't buy any of them new.

I'm in Tokyo right now and I went to a few of the big shops here that have every body/lens on the market on display for shoppers to try out. I'm seriously considering a switch back to Sony from the XT2's I'm currently using, partly because of IBIS and partly because my most used lenses (10-24 & 55-200) are sucking in a lot of dust. I didn't have these issues with my Sony kit. I spent a lot of time with the A6500 and various lenses and I really liked the 18-105. I'm looking at getting the 10-18 again (my favorite Sony lens) and either the 18-105 or 16-70 as my main walk around lens.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/27/2017 at 11:21 AM, forofilms said:

http://metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-E-BT3

"Fast contrast-detect AF on all E-mount cameras.Phase-detect autofocus support on A7RII, A7II, A6300 and A6500."

On 3/23/2017 at 0:36 PM, forofilms said:

Apparently there is a new metabones adapter coming that will allow AFC to work with Sony's PDAF with Canon lenses. 

Literally on the same page you linked to:

"Continuous AF and video AF are not supported. (Performance may be unsatisfactory.)"

What you quoted only says PDAF support which they already have on their older SB...

So... nothing has changed, af-c still "unsupported"

• 1 year later...