Monitor Suggestions for BMPCC + NX-1 ??

Juxx989

Hi I have been using my new to me BMPCC and I am dying using the screen on the back...

Looking for tips for a good cheap monitor I can use... I see the most popular size is 7" but unless Im missing something that seems huge on top of your cam??

Would I appreciate the 7" over the 5" in the long run?

I would like to use with both my BMPCC & NX-1 if needed so I guess it needs to do 4k

Im trying to keep the budget around $200 

Don't mind if you can suggest a model that's a few years old that I can snag off ebay....

Thanks friends!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"Neway's are usually known as rebranded Ikan's. There is a touch screen 5" one that interests me most, it is the same as the 5" Ikan, a bit cheaper, and accepts 4K", just wrote that on the other "Cheap 7" monitors" thread, maybe it is exactly the same as you ask.

I do find the 7" too much for my needs.

Agreed. 7" is more like a set monitor for the director or something. I feel like 5" really is a more suitable size to be mounting it on a camera or rig. SmallHD makes some pretty sexy monitors. But they're way too premo. For that kind of money you're almost thinking Videodevices PIX-E5(H) which is like the best monitor/recorder-combo imaginable. Blackmagic has given the Video Assist some proper upgrades through firmware, but of course it still doesn't take 4K over HDMI. If you're looking for a monitor only, the Lilliput Q5 has some very awesome features, but like the VA lacks 4K support (luckily cameras like the GH4 have a selectable 1080p monitor output whilst recording in 4K). The Q5 as well is availlable as Neway model, there it's the CK550S. What does indeed take 4K is the mentioned Neway monitor CT500HO, which indeed basically is the Ikan DH5e. If you're looking for smaller, consider the Ikan VL35 which is 3.5" and takes 4K. I think the last proper mention goes to FeelWorld who have the FeelWorld G55, similar to the Lilliput/Neway, but to me seems a little crappier made. Another Chinese company seems to be the pretty unknown SWIT, but they're at their pricepoint there's better alternatives. Same for the Korean BON. But yeah, I think that about covers the sub 7"-range. Maybe the Sony CLM-FHD5 if you shoot on Sony cams a lot. Unfortunately a hell of a lot more restrictive than 7" that's just bombarded with all sorts of options. Wish Aputure would make some good value sub 7" monitors, they've been killing it so far, would've been awesome if the '5' in 'VS-5' would've meant '5 inch'. Some more recorder combos would be welcome a well... a 5" 4K recording or to 1080p downsampling BMD Video Assist, Convergent Design Odyssey, Atomos (update to the Ninja Blade?!), or something would be welcome. Of course it would be appreciated to stay south of $1k.

If you're just shooting 1080p and want one of the cheapest solutions, maybe go for a Viltrox DC-50.

Yeah. I don't really see the point of that, to be honest. It looks pretty 'meh' and is not even meant as a filmmaking tool. Get the mobile AliExpress app for some extra discount on this one (don't forget additional store coupons), under 80 bucks, ships from either US, EU or CN even: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DE-STOCK-Viltrox-DC-50-HD-Clip-on-Camera-Monitor-Portable-Wide-View-5-LCD-Monitor/32688864412.html. Fine enough monitor for some basic framing and such I'd reckon. Wouldn't mess about with some random car cam monitor.

But I'm really with Kisaha on this one. The Neway CT500HO seems a really attractive option here... Vitaliy will hook you up. :)

Avoid using an external monitor on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. The camera's HDMI port is soldered directly to its motherboard and breaks easily, which will destroy the camera. It's widely known as the biggest construction flaw of the BMPCC. Cages with HDMI cable lockers/clamps still don't safely resolve this issue. 

If you absolutely need external monitoring, better use a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera instead of the Pocket.