Nikon Coolpix A

Zach

Interesting camera. Fixed 28mm (equivalent) lens. APS-C sized sensor. Looks like Nikons respone to the Sony RX1, albeit at a cheaper price point. It does 24 and 30p and 1080 and 720. 

Will be interesting to see how it performs! 

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26423/COOLPIX-A.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Or a response to the RX100.. at a higher price point and without zoom ;)

I think I would choose the RX100 over this, even if it were the same price. Ok, the Sony has a smaller sensor, but it has f/1.8 on the wide end.

Anyway, it's a good development. After the RX100 the second truly pocket-able big sensor camera. I'd love to see more of those.

• Administrators

One of the main advantages of large sensor - shallow depth of field... So they put a wide angle 18mm on it with a relatively slow aperture. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Nice design otherwise. Just that lens is really restrictive. I'd have rather it had a 35mm F2.0.

Or a response to the RX100.. at a higher price point and without zoom ;)

I think I would choose the RX100 over this, even if it were the same price. Ok, the Sony has a smaller sensor, but it has f/1.8 on the wide end.

Anyway, it's a good development. After the RX100 the second truly pocket-able big sensor camera. I'd love to see more of those.

Agreed. I own the RX100 and have yet to regret the decision based on any other camera releases. It does appear that the high quality compact point and shoot market is becoming lively. 

Agreed on the lens. Does seem a bit wide and slow. 

Probably a 35mm f/2 aps-c-equivalent is harder (impossible?) to make in such a pocket-able size.

The Fuji X100/X100S is quite a lot bigger. Although I like the Fuji's, in a way I think they are kinda pointless. They are small, but not pocket-able. So you'd need to carry a bag anyway, which means you could be carrying an compact interchangeable system as well.

That's why I really like the RX100, it's unique because it fits in your jeans or jacket without being cumbersome. The Coolpix A probably qualifies the same, but with this lens it indeed looses most of the advantage of the bigger sensor.

• Administrators

The lens is 23mm on the Fuji X100.

I don't mean equivalent.

I mean 35mm F2.0 on an APS-C sensor. More like equivalent to 50mm on full frame and therefore more versatile.

Wide angle for me is a special purpose lens not an all rounder.

Yet the ridiculous thing is - APS-C DSLR owners have been crying out for faster 18mm lenses for years and neither Canon or Nikon have provided one.

The lens is 23mm on the Fuji X100.

I don't mean equivalent.

I mean 35mm F2.0 on an APS-C sensor. More like equivalent to 50mm on full frame and therefore more versatile.

Wide angle for me is a special purpose lens not an all rounder.

Yet the ridiculous thing is - APS-C DSLR owners have been crying out for faster 18mm lenses for years and neither Canon or Nikon have provided one.

Ah, I see. I'd prefer 35mm (equivalent) as a general purpose focal length if I had just one option.

Completely agree on the need for a nice 18mm-ish dslr pancake. I like the EF-M Canon 22mm f/2, shame there's no such thing for Canon EF.

@Hoodlum: the Sigma doesn't fit in your pocket. So imo you can't really compare it. Instead of the Sigma you could also get a NEX-6/7 with the Sigma 19mm lens. You'd basically have the same lens, an excellent EVF, a fast/responsible camera (the Sigma is truly horrible in that aspect), you can swap lenses, you get usable results at anything over iso 200 etc. The Foveon sensor is great at low iso's.. but it is a camera with so many quirks.

If only it would shoot proper video... ;)