Panasonic GX80/85 or G80/85

dslnc

Dear All

figuring out how to best spend my low budget for a decent video shooter for around €1000

Since I have some Olympus 43 lenses I am rather focused on getting a mft camera. I like Sony but the rolling shutter on a6300 seems like a deal breaker to me although the low light and 120fps is tempting.

I am in between these bodies:

Gh4 - €865 

G80/85 - €899

GX80/85 - €580

Would you chose the new G80/85 over the aging GH4? (Roughly same price)

Does the 300€ / 50% extra spend on the G80/85 get you a lot better video camera than the GX80/85?

As far as I can see the biggest difference between the 80/85 Gs is the 'cine  d+v' profiles and 4K 30p on the G80. And of course the possibility to add a battery grip (that you get for free ordering through October)

Søren

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Would you chose the new G80/85 over the aging GH4? (Roughly same price)

Depends. Do you need the video production tools that are possible on the GH4? Like V-LOG L, anamorphic mode, headphone jack, TC, etc? If not per se, the new G80/85 has newer sensor tech and like the G7 and GX80 already, have a much cleaner image with a little nicer colors. On top of that it adds the 5-axis body image stabilizer which shifts the sensor to allow all of your non-stabilized third party lenses and primes to finally have stabilization! That's a major deal!

Does the 300€ / 50% extra spend on the G80/85 get you a lot better video camera than the GX80/85?

Again. Depends. Every camera has their own strong points. The GX80/85 is nice 'n small. But with the G80/85 you would gain a vari-angle screen, instead of a tilty one. You get a mic-in, which sorta is a big deal if you want to record audio internally. Features Cinelike profiles. And it has weather sealing and is grippier.

I'd say the best option for the time is the G80/85. It's the new Panasonic hybrid flagship for stills and video. Just to have the GH5 beat it, but at double the price, half a year later.

-- if you're residing in the UK/EU, check out the killer deal I posted in the main thread: