Sony A7s NOISE problems, anybody experiencing?

com21

idk if you guys touched on this already but....you get these noise problems with the a7s because you are using an 8 bit log profile in low light in a low dynamic  range scene. Even if the camera shot 10 bit that's a recipe for disaster. When I had an a7s I used cine4 or cine1 for everything. Only time I pulled out SLOG is when the dynamic range was way high in a scene and that's where the profile truly shined. ...you don't have to shoot everything flat...you are wasting bits

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

idk if you guys touched on this already but....you get these noise problems with the a7s because you are using an 8 bit log profile in low light in a low dynamic  range scene. Even if the camera shot 10 bit that's a recipe for disaster. When I had an a7s I used cine4 or cine1 for everything. Only time I pulled out SLOG is when the dynamic range was way high in a scene and that's where the profile truly shined. ...you don't have to shoot everything flat...you are wasting bits

People KILL ME with this 8bit BULLSHIT!  I just shot a project on RED EPIC where we under exposed the scene and it was FILLED with all of this so called "8bit" noise, macro blocks, etc. Truth is the truth and please stop reading this BULLSHIT!

YES an 8 nit image can/will fall apart if not exposed properly and pushed in a grade, but so will a 12-16bit etc camera as well. The TRUTH is you NEED to properly expose your image and you can eliminate more than 90% if not all of the gradients.noise,etc found in all of these cameras.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Damn that made you that mad ? Lol. Still wondering what I said to contradict what you just said ? @j.f.r.

Reading your post it says that you are getting noise because it's an 8 bit camera, then you also say it would happen in 10 bit, but actually that has really NOTHING to do with it. You are getting noise, macro block, artifacts because you underexposing the image, really has nothing to do with the color depth. Main reason why that whole 8 bit thing is bullshit.

8 Bit is really more about color information and depth, main reason why a properly exposed image from RED EPIC, ARRI, BLACKMAGIC look so much different than 8 bit color space. But yeah, I'm not a technician so there's definitely a more technical answer, mine is just from years of experience working on multiple platforms. Sony A7s can actually deliver a very nice image, on the same token of course something like a Red Dragon can deliver a "nicer" one simple due to the engineering of the camera in a properly exposed setting.

You're so quick to argue that you completely misread what I said but its ok. I will explain in detail. I never said its happening BECAUSE its 8bit. LOG has severe limitations in an 8bit color space thats as much of a fact as the law of gravity. Sgamut / slog was meant for a 10bit color space. Anyway you combine shooting at high iso, underexposed & with a LOG profile thats a disaster waiting to happen because of how LOG is distributing data amongst the 8bits. You get better results when you overexpose because you end up pushing the noise floor down. Im wrong about that too ? I had an a7s and my footage was phenomenal with it, cause I exposed with it the same way I did with any camera : to the right. Im happy you have years of experience filming, I do too ???. Shot on multiple platforms ? I did too.

so did I say the sony cant deliver a great image ? Most certainly did not. Find where I said that. I'll wait. @j.f.r.