Samsung didnt leave the camera business just yet...

ricardo_sousa11

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I watch Casey’s vlogs almost every day. They are very inspiring that he can produce such good content on a daily basis. Also IMO Casey is the godfather of the current YouTube film style. If you ever watch his HBO series(witch I recommend everyone goes and watches) he was making modern vlog style YouTube content back in 2008 when YouTube was just a place to upload high school fight videos.

That aside I was really happy to see this vlog yesterday which means that Samsung is starting to think about marketing.

I still think that Samsung has left the ILC market (for now) and will be reassessing their market position before making another move witch likely won’t be until Q1 of 2017 at best if at all.

Anyways my point is that with the new gear 360 and teaming up with Casey means that they are keeping their finger on the market pulse while they reassess their market position.

• Administrators

I think Samsung will reassess too.

Sony has shown the way with their sales figures for the full frame mirrorless cameras. APS-C is not where it's at. Samsung should return with a full frame mirrorless camera and that requires a completely different set of lenses.

Its development probably has little to do with the Samsung imaging division to keep some form of the Samsung camera ecosystem going...

This is more observing Canon not acknowledging the need to jump on 4K recording cameras for the longest time, since in their eyes they're not the ones who have to sell 4K tvs, unlike Panasonic and Sony, until they realized this is actually a trending demand of the market in general. Just... over at Canon they have the mindset 'hey, we didn't wanted to give you this, but you asked for it, that's like wanting some extra side dishes with your meal, so you'll understand we'll be charging you extra!'. If you're going to have to give in eventually, you might as well start today! And Samsung is in the final content delivery business as well... tvs, tablets, smartphones! VR Glasses now... and Canon's right... you want to sell those devices that support certain features, e.g. 4K or VR? Then enabling the people that use those devices to produce their own content for it really seems the way to go.

So this time around we're seeing a trend where people get more interested in VR. A pretty fresh market segment. You could wait it out and see what happens... but Samsung also knows that once brands have secured their position in a certain market, it's hard for newcomers to steal away their customer base. So... they see some new land ready for the taking, with only a handful of others that are growing some crops here and there, but with the right approach planting some seeds now will make for a great harvest fest later!

I don't think Samsung will re-enter the camera market with something like the NX-line again. I think for them it's done. They've tried, they've cut their losses and are now moving on...

28 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think Samsung will reassess too.

Sony has shown the way with their sales figures for the full frame mirrorless cameras. APS-C is not where it's at. Samsung should return with a full frame mirrorless camera and that requires a completely different set of lenses.

sorry, then why should panasonic "upgrade" to apsc? seems like they have fans as m43, but if they went apsc, people should just ditch them for fullframe..? ;)  - kidding, not really looking to ruin a thread with that..

Perhaps if their fullframe cameras were priced like the NX500 and NX1, sure. But otherwise there's still not keeping people much from picking the fullframe big three: Sony, Canon or Nikon.

That's exactly the problem with their APS-C line-up now as well. It's competing in the same segment where you've already got brutal opponents and where the average soccer mom, acquaintance and electronics store employee shoots and recommends something other than Samsung. And only a small percentage actually cares about the features and quality it has over other options. Or they don't find that its benefits justifies the price. It's tough.

I do actually think APS-C/S35 is where it's at. I know so from having the APS-C D5300. And I really love the sensor. Just... I'm totally over the traditional approach, I just can't stand it. I want to shoot mirrorless already... so... sure I could stick with M43... but I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Sony APS-C mirrorless either. Pana's loss... and that would be a reason for Panasonic to have to go and up their game and take the JVC approach to have an APS-C sensor behind that M43 mount... will they do it? Prolly not. Will I pick up an A6300 and take it for a spin? Most definitely.