Why do I like the look of the Canon 1D C and Blackmagic Micro Cinema so much than the Ursa, F55, FS7, and C300 mark ii?

Ed_David

I know. I've seen footage with the Sigma 18-35 that was blurry and we all know that's a sharp lens. Initially I totally disregarded the BMPCC because it seemed to have 5D h264 level sharpness but I've seen some videos that were breathtaking. Just saying that some cameras are hard to judge by the regular stuff you find on Vimeo on the quick. It often looks like Film Convert cranked to the max.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Got to remember that not everyone wants to replicate that modern [overly] sharp look. When we talk about digital & looks, this is exactly what its all about. So just because someone has a different aesthetic than you doesn't mean that the footage is bad or badly filmed, or that the camera is of inferior quality. Look at the DPs that use digital 4K cameras & use filters to soften the image - not everyone wants to see every single hair, bump, wrinkle, crease etc... Personally, i'm not interested in overly sharp images & I use lenses/filters that soften things up a little, but which keep the resolution that the camera is capable of capturing (in my case the BMPCC). And then there is the popular misgiving that sharpness=resolution - it doesn't & they are different things.

I think some of the D16 footage could do with being better CCd - the blues in that holiday video were just too fake looking.