Kowa 16H Rear Filter Removal

Stephen Kraus

First time posting (long time lurker :P), I recently purchased a Kowa 16H on eBay, and when it shipped I realized it came with a 52mm filter attached (possibly hot glued?) onto the rear of the lens (not disclosed on the eBay description). I was happy at first, as this allowed me to mount the lens to any taking lenses with a 52mm front threat without using a Redstan Clamp, but it's proving to be really hard to focus without screwing up alignment. 

So, what I'm wondering what the best way to remove it would be, without potentially damaging the optics near the rear of the lens. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I also looked at this lens....I think the challenge is going to be cutting the ring off, without getting dust inside the lens. Depending on your location, I would try to find a clock maker or someone who can service lenses properly...I opted not to bid on it for the reason that, cutting it off is not going to be easy and a Dremmel tool will throw off so much dust, you might contaminate the lens....perhaps PM Rich, as he is obviously very knowledgable in this area...I think this will require someone with his skills.

masking tape over all of the open seams and over the glass.  

junior hacksaw the face of the ring with the text on it so you dont go all the way through, but you have a nice 'nearly through' slot.  cut downwards onto the threaded part in line with the slot you already made.

use a slot screwdriver in the slot and rotate the screwdriver so the ring splits.  you might need to do this on both sides, or even three times.

the glue wont be very strong, but if required, soften it with some nail varnish remover.  you can also use the nail varnish remover to clean the glue off when the ring comes off