Anyone shooting with the Canon 6d yet

ronjbase

@Gravitatemediagroup is right regarding video on the 6D. With Cinestyle, it will see more than you do in the dark. At 25,000 + iso, the image has dirt,...but any camera will degrade that high up. It's honestly the cleanest low light performance i've seen come out of a Canon at an iso that high. Here is a link to a C300/6D low light shootout: https://vimeo.com/55633499 I'm sure it probably has issues with Moire / Aliasing, but i can't see this camera not getting enough attention to spark production of its own AA filter from Mosaic Eng. eventually. This is about as fanboy as I get regarding Canon, but it impressed me this weekend in terms of video. Having a faster processor opens doors the 5D2 couldn't, like an external monitor that doesn't go black for 5 seconds when you hit record so it can down rez to 480p. Magic Lantern has this camera on their roster, which means higher bitrates, and a ton of other features will be available soon. It's funny but these cameras are like Stratocasters. You buy one, and the first thing you do is upgrade everything on it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

what shocks me, is that if you have the money to even think about buying this camera........DO IT.

shoot with it for a few days, and if it doesn't live up to your standards, return it.  obviously don't shred the box when you open it, and don't pour sand into it.  I tested the d600 before I bought the 6d and was pleased with the photos, but the videos was a nightmare.  you will not achieve the same results of the d600 demo video released by nikon called "chasing the light"  I would almost bet that video was shot on a RED and was made into a video of people "using" a d600.  To make a long story short, I returned the d600 and couldn't be happier.  I also purchased a t4i to test when I got the 6d, and after using the 6d first, the t4i couldn't impress me if it wanted to.  

So basically, I had to purchase 3 cameras to find the one I wanted, if you live close to a canon dealer or BH photo, it would be easier for you, but I pretty much live in the sticks, and don't have the luxury of just playing with a camera at a local camera shop.

BH is really good about returns, I think they use to charge a restocking fee, but the past year I haven't noticed them doing it. 

The 6d has a few flaws just like almost every camera in the world.  I would really like to have a t4i swivel LCD on it, but being that it's more geared towards photographers, Id say Canon didn't care.  Not to mention their are ways of dealing with this issue.  Monitors and what not.

I am a big camera critic, but not on a scientific level, but more on functionality, quality, performances.  The 6d is everything I expected it to, and had the flaws I expected it to have, and ML may change some of those as well.  If I could change anything about the camera honestly it would be to knock about $300 off the price.  Give it a little time and it will be down to $1500.  

My go to camera for nice detail video will be a gh2, (until I get my BMCC LOL) but if I am at an even that I want to be able to shoot video and snap pictures on the fly, I'll be the 6Ds pimp for that event ; ) 

am in a hurry so please excuse my grammar this post, I should have a video up soon of gh2 clips in the first half, 6d in the second half, so you can see how they compare in a way I guess.

Any ideas what makes 6d much better in low light than 5dmk3? Can't be pixel count only obviously. @gravitatemediagroup have you compared 6d to 5dmk3 yourself in low light?

did you see the above posted video c300 vs 6d? 

I don't own a mk3, but I would assume they are the same, some claim 6d is better.  If you want to spend $1000 more dollars for a unknown micro amount of difference in low light, be my guest ; )

Moire is a big deal, worth the extra $1000 if you can afford it, IMO.
Also, construction wise, they're different beasts.

yeah, but everyday improvements are being made to fix these issues (the filters and software plugins)

obviously the mk3 is a better camera, but in the near future, I would say M/A won't be much of an issue.

Moire can be quite nasty, and no plugin will fix it easily. If you have a serious project to shoot, the additional $1000 would probably not be enough to fix it in post.
AA filters like the mosaic engineering one don't work well with all lenses and they're made to work at 1080p only.
I know moire is still present in most video DSLRs, but it's a huge pain in the ass, if you can avoid it, you should.

• 4 weeks later...