Question on hypergonar lenses

hidalgoserra

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I have a HiFi-2 and in my opinion it is a lot more cinematic than just about any other anamorphic lens on the market. It's even on par with my Lomo square fronts. I can't comment on the 16mm version because I have never owned one, but the samples I have seen are nowhere near as film-like.

I bought my Hypergonar for $120 a while ago but lately I have seen them going for up to $350. You have to decide what it would be worth to you. The only thing I would say is that many of these Hypergonars have old pieces of marking tape on them that make them look like they are in worse shape than they actually are. I've been able to remove the tape and residue very easily with a little carefully applied acetone. Don't let tape deter you.

If you do buy one, order a Velbon SPT-1 and a lens collar on eBay as soon as possible. Most of these ship from China and it can take a full month for them to get to you. You will also need one of Redstan's adapters and probably a step ring to attach the Hypergonar to your camera, and I'd also recommend an 82mm-77mm step ring to superglue to the front of the lens (it fits nicely and looks very clean) so that you can attach a 77mm +1 diopter, which I would also highly recommend. It's a bit of a task to get one of these things up and running, but absolutely worth it in my opinion.

Hey
thanks so much for your explanation, very kind and your info are very welcome as i am totally new to anamorphic style lenses, but i simple love it, i am searching the hypergonar hi fi 2 like crazy ive being adviced to try the isco, but to be honest ive fall in love with the hi fi paired with the lomo 75mm 2.8 ( beautifull) ive just bought a hyper cheap lense a helios 44 and moving forward to get the right occasion for the anamorphic lense...so lets cross finger and thanks again.

p.s.
if someone sell his hypergonar im here lol

that Hypergonar full of fungus - not usable

this Bausch and Lomb is a much better lens the glass is almost mint as new
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230849346495?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230849346495?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649[/url]

I think you can spend a lot of money over time: You would want to try this and that anamorphic and therefore you buy and sell
on ebay like so many others used to do.
In the end my experience is (well not really mine it was a tip from Redstan): Sell all your Sankors, Pany, Optex and buy a good
Iscorama for "serious shit". That was the best thing I could do.
Nothing comes close when it comes to handling and practicality. I really love it. And the quality is just fantastic - of course you
have to be lucky to find a good example.
And the "cinematic character" of the image also depends a lot on the taking lens I think?!

Good luck :)

PS I think the Baby Hypergonar is much better - again in terms of usage then the other two mentioned!
Works fantastic with several lenses. For example with a Olympus 38mm Zuiko F 2.0 but you would have to stop down to I would say a least F4.0 for these focus through anamorphics for corner sharpness.

[quote name='Rudolf' timestamp='1347623907' post='17973']
I think you can spend a lot of money over time: You would want to try this and that anamorphic and therefore you buy and sell
on ebay like so many others used to do.
In the end my experience is (well not really mine it was a tip from Redstan): Sell all your Sankors, Pany, Optex and buy a good
Iscorama for "serious shit". That was the best thing I could do.
Nothing comes close when it comes to handling and practicality. I really love it. And the quality is just fantastic - of course you
have to be lucky to find a good example.
And the "cinematic character" of the image also depends a lot on the taking lens I think?!

Good luck :)
[/quote]

I have a lot of respect for Redstan, but I must disagree. I have easily spent more than the $3k it costs to buy an Iscorama on five or six other anamorphic lenses and I could not be happier. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, and I have only kept the ones that I found to be truly cinematic. Personally, I don't think that the Iscorama gives you enough distortion for that truly cinematic look, and that is what this is all about, right?

For instance, take a look at this Hypergonar footage by Rings:

http://vimeo.com/16065398

Incredible character. I have never seen anything like this come from an Iscorama.

I think I am not really sure about the meaning of cinematic look and feeling. I think it is not only a matter of flares and distortion.
Do you mean the stretch factor (2x, 1,66, 1,5 or 1,33?) I also spent a lot of money for several anamorphic and I still own a Pany
although I never used it much at just does not produce a nice image like an Iscorama but it is very nice to use (still ugly cheap plastic
and too big, can't mount diopters untill your great DIY-solution :) !) The Baby Hypergonar is better in the aspect but not as good
as an Isco. I agree that Sankors, Kowas (had those) are great but they are just not so practical. And sometimes your footage is not
really sharp.
I have never owned a Lomo - the footage I have seen looks great but the Lomos look... heavy? ;)
Well, I am really not an expert and my customers are not interested in anamorphic footage - they even don't think about cinematic looks
at all (just boring stuff) :unsure:
Therefor it is more or less a hobby and funstuff for me

well, im trowing my 5 cents too even if i am totally a new bye in shooting in anamorphic.

i think isco (centavision) for example are something amazing, i like theyre feeling, the air, the depth and so on, they flare not much ( and anamorphic for me means flaring like crazy) but there are moment where you dont want to have star trek going on so that look might be good.
I agree with quickhit, that video have character, i am a bit afraid with anamorph to go too vintage...but amazing example.

Hypergonar from itself i think its amazing (hi fi 2 not the 16 mm) and cant wait to put my hands on one.
at the moment i have found one at 400$ that is almost perfect

but in my wishlist i see

1) hypergonar hi fi 2
2) lomo square front 35 mm
3) isco centavision

then i will consider myself a happy man :D