Sony NEX EA50 – ENG cameras go APS-C, interchangeable lens

Julian

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/nex-ea50.jpg[/img]
Sony just announced the NEX-EA50. It comes at a complete surprise, haven't seen any rumours about this camera
before. Which is surprising since everything Sony makes seems to be known months in advance.

16 megapixel APS-C (shoots raw pictures too)
E-Mount
New 18-200mm Power Zoom
1920x1080 in 50p/25p/50i or 60p/30p/24p/60i
AVCHD 4:2:0 at up to 28Mbps
Two-channel XLR audio
ECM-XM1 Shotgun microphone is included
Linear PCM audio; time code; user bit; and built-in GPS
Sony’s HXR-FMU128 (128GB) flash memory unit can dock directly to the camcorder for simultaneous backup

[u]No built in ND filters[/u]

[b]And the best: Price 2740 GBP[/b]
Especially considering it comes included with a mic, monitor/viewfinder (can't find info on the resolution though) and a formfactor with shoulder mount etc so you don't have to spend much on a rig..

Available from October.

I'm pretty new in the video world, but this looks seriously awesome to me. What do you think?

[url="http://www.sony.nl/pro/lang/en/nl/product/nxcamcorders/nex-ea50eh/overview"]http://www.sony.nl/p...ea50eh/overview[/url]

[img]http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/shoulder-mount.jpg[/img]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The FS100 shares the F3 sensor, looks like this one does share the VG20 sensor. Being a re-purposed still-image sensor it's likely to give image quality very close to the SLR footage we're used to: quite soft with some aliasing, 8-bit colour depth 4:2:0 sub-sampling. It'll please those who like the ENG form factor and want an all-in-one shallow DOF solution for relatively cheap. What with the on-camera backup too, I'd guess lower end ENG and documentary shooting is the intended market for this.

At least they didn't stick the screen in the middle this time!

[quote name='xenogears' timestamp='1345204748' post='15884']
Is not a cheap FS100 is a expensive VG20 ;)
But not bad for 80% video productions jobs.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, this screams "VG20" in every way. It will 99% have the fake 1080p quality carried with all the Sony DSRLs

• Administrators
From the blog:

[list=1]
[*][b]It isn't a future consumer camera.[/b] It is a low end ENG camera for shoulder mounted video work.
[*][b]It isn't a cheap FS100.[/b] It is a NEX 5N in an ENG body with XLR inputs. (Similarly the VG20 is a NEX 5N in a high end consumer camcorder body)
[/list]
Instead this is practical tool for run & gun documentary shooters, live event shooters, news gathers and corporate video.

Most other kinds of filmmakers are much better off with the FS100 or a DSLR.

I kind of like this camera, but is kind of pricey, if you look for the FS100 can be found at $4000 as Andrew says and in the near future maybe cheaper, and the new lens can be used in the FS100 too, i suppose.

Maybe a $3000 retail price is more likely, leaving the VG20 out of the scene, but again, is a nice tool to almost all the 80% video production jobs.

• Administrators
It does solve the audio and rig issue of a DSLR if you are into shoulder mounted shooting. But it actually doesn't excite me that much to be honest. I've never been big on the ENG stuff.

I can see Michael Moore giving it a spin though!

No ND filters?? WTF...

This is an event camera right? An ENG cam right? With proper XLRs, zoom servo and shoulder pad right?

So...Where is the ND switch on the side close to the sensor???? I use it all the time with my EX3 when needed. It's a MUST HAVE! I will ahve to stop down the iris or go crazy the shutter? Oww... Reallyyy good for an ENG cam... tssss...

Oh god Sony... I'm out! Next boat... Perhaps the FS700. Let's see what panny has to offer.

This would be the ideal camera for me if:

Same formfactor, but with a shorter loupe for the evf which would be 720p resolution. Then it wouldt be necasarry to slide the shoulder pad back and you would get more of the weight on your shoulder. It also needs alot of mounting options all over the body, but espacially on the back so you could but a external recorder there and maybe a V-lock battery. The grip also needs to be relocateble(is that a word?) as the FS700 with a rosette so you could either put it closer to the lens so your hans would be where it should be when you do ENG style shooting, but also so you could use it like Zacuto did with their rigs for the C300. That could work for eng, but also more cinemastyle handheld shooting. A rosette on the other side would be nice too for a second handle. Holes for 15mm rods on the front and back would be awesome for mounting a follow focus, mattebox and like i said earlier, a external recorder and v-lock battery. A magnesium body like the F3 would be nice too.

And then last but not least. The FS700 exmor sensor and the possibility for 4K recording later on like the FS!

Im drooling a little right now... I know its a dream, but that camera would solve all my needs when it comes to narrative short films, music videoes etc and also ENG coorporate shooting(got to earn some money too!) It would have a formfactor like a proper film camera like in the old days like Aaton etc and an incredible sensor capable of 4k and super slow-motion!

With the right price tag, you wouldt say no to that camera whould you, Andrew?

.....i think it looks like a C300. Super sharp "digital" look. No rolling shutter, good low light, 28mbs, cuts out a lot of the price tag for rigs... Pretty streamlined, interchangeable lens, etc.. I like it:). It's only $500 more than a 5D3.....and what, $10,000 less than a C300. ( sorry but....baaahahahahahaaaaa!).

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1345349225' post='16017']
$10,000 less than a C300.
[/quote]

Yep, $10,000 less than the C300. And it offers 1080/60p. It's not as small as the C300, but the built in shoulder mount option and what looks like a very sturdy handle and mic mount will surely make it very popular for news gathering and documentary shooters. Main downside I see is 28Mbps max bitrate (even if Sony's implementation of the codec is the best there is). Sony have been getting so many things right recently, they really ought to show us some love and lift that to at least 50Mbps.

The only two annoyances here for me would be the missing ND filters, which can't be justified, and the 28mbps cap, which is so insanely low compared to the power of the technology in there. You move a lot, this is gonna break into little blocks, especially at 50/60p. Just like the HX9V and RX100 do in fact!

It's so simple to fit NDs in, even in a smaller camera. Look at the new PMW 200, that has your classic Sony camcorder NDs. I can't believe you have to go all the way up to an FS700 before you get some little NDs in a Super 35 cam... it's clearly a case of up-selling, which always bugs me.