Most significant clue so far about Blackmagic Cinema Camera performance

Andrew Reid

[quote name='PAVP' timestamp='1344369725' post='15078']
I really think we're missing the point if we look at this footage and are critiquing the manner in which it was shot. It's a good thing that it wasn't a perfectly lit, steadycam'd, big production that accounted for every weakness the camera could have. What would we learn from that? With enough time and money you can make any camera look great and yet not know much about what the true character of the camera is. This is like a window into what the camera is really like minus all the trappings.
[/quote]
1. To some degree I agree with this, but there are certain technical things that even the most indie film maker should/could iron out.

2. If the article had prefaced these shots with something like, "we wanted to show what the camera looked like, ungraded, and under poor shooting conditions so we...", I would have judged it [b]very[/b] differently.

3. Clearly Mr. Brawley is an accomplished and talented filmmaker, and I doubt he gives two shites about what some meathead like me thinks about some of his unpolished work from an unreleased camera. All I did was criticize the footage that was shown to me without any context.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16mm film is so well old fashioned.
the size of the format is so small and un cinmatique
film is just so yesterday

this was shot on 1980s generation film stocks on super 16mm film camera are a far cry from todays vision film stocks.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7qkYPX7A8[/media]

30 years and a trillion dollar investment technical advantage digital has had.
sure cannot see where the money went.
film should be a laughing stock but it still looks good to me.

[quote name='HurtinMinorKey' timestamp='1344368613' post='15071']

There is a difference between informal and sloppy. What we saw was sloppy work, for all the reasons I listed above.

Last time I checked, a three man crew was enough to use a glidecam while someone else holds a reflector.

After going to John Brawley's website, and looking at his reel (and seeing how good it was), I'm even more disappointed with what we see here.
[/quote]

Maybe you can go to the actual blog posting I wrote about this where I explain the production methodology and that the Steadicam shots are terrible and WHY I included them.

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/some-more-blackmagic-cinema-camera-footage/

Thanks for sharing your views.

[quote name='jgharding' timestamp='1344355993' post='15057']
Hmmmm the plot thickens. .
It could be Canon L lenses here as the image is pretty warm, and I usually find them kind of sterile.

[/quote]

Hmm. Not a single L series lens was used for this clip. Maybe you should read the post that gives this context.

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/some-more-blackmagic-cinema-camera-footage/

JB

[quote name='John Brawley' timestamp='1344377680' post='15083']
Maybe you can go to the actual blog posting I wrote about this where I explain the production methodology and that the Steadicam shots are terrible and WHY I included them.

[url="http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/some-more-blackmagic-cinema-camera-footage/"]http://johnbrawley.w...camera-footage/[/url]

Thanks for sharing your views.
[/quote]

Hey, there you are context! This is actually linked as a souce at the end of Andrew's blurb, unfortunately i'm retarded and missed it. Everyone feel free to gather around and kick me in the nutesack.

[quote name='tabac' timestamp='1344381307' post='15087']
Fair enough, but man, if someone jumped on my work like that!
[/quote]

You'd what? Take it like a man? Be thankful that someone was paying attention?

Moebius, Black swan was shot on 16mm Arriflex, 5D, and 7D.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/technical

I think they blow the 16mm up to 35mm before they transfer to digital.

[quote name='HurtinMinorKey' timestamp='1344383220' post='15089']
You'd what? Take it like a man? Be thankful that someone was paying attention?

Moebius, Black swan was shot on 16mm Arriflex, 5D, and 7D.

[url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/technical"]http://www.imdb.com/...47798/technical[/url]

I think they blow the 16mm up to 35mm before they transfer to digital.
[/quote]
I'd spend more time filling in the massive holes in your knowledge, to highlight the value of your comments.
But I can't be arsed. I think people got the measure.

[quote name='FilmMan' timestamp='1344381284' post='15086']
PS. I'm still thinking about BM, Kineraw, the 1DC and the hack for cameras.
[/quote]

Speaking of the Kineraw, so far it seems to be the most impressive. That last clip of the s-35 was fricking ridiculously good. I guess it's not a fair comparison because it's suposed to be twice as expensive as the BMC. But the detail, and the highlight rolloffs from that beast were sick.

all's us cowboys keeps on sayin is if dis donkey is cumin out into der big wide yonder in 7 days or is it 6 cos day siad 10 days 4 days ago or was it 10 days 6 days ago or maybee 5 anyways.
says it 10 days wares bee der offical footage
dus dis aparatus cume wid a money back garantee if it stinks likes my last horse.
dwayne der new horsey turns up at my ranch farm and whatayano dat cotton pickun aminal only had 3 legs godamit.
one sad horse and one tricky ride
gotta refund by kidnappin der horse russtlers nice wife
lookin at der bmc owner eye say his wife prbibly looks like jack black

I can't believe all the people hating on this camera. If I were to go out and shoot this exact scene in same daylight settings on my 5d it would look god awful. The light rolloff is beautiful. I will be able to push this camera in post to a whole new level.
I think my only complaint is that my camera can't get here soon enough...
Thanks John for sharing these images and taking time to respond to everyone. You're the man.

eyes sees lots a prase and sum desentererors
eyes not a fan of blinds minds control.
as der england man shylock homes said one time
shows me der ofical evidance and eye shows youse der penny farthing
remembers dere god like obama rock roller obarmy scenes 4 years ago,look at der olampics mass mindcontrol.

lets wates der 4 days and sea.
eyes sure it will bee a beast dat will get big red jim a cursin and a yellin but ofical pretty picture filum wood bee sweet.
day can offord it wid der millon dollars of presales.
even non cinema nikon make offical filum clips for shit aperatus

• Administrators
[quote name='tony wilson' timestamp='1344313338' post='15036']
captains log star date july into august 2012.
for a while now some of the crew been distracted by mindless moronic sports events.
the federation love promoting sports they think it keeps the scum from riot,rape and my favourite murder.
i william tiberius shatner kirk have bigger fish to fry.
1.does spock still love me is the relationship getting stale.
2.is he still turned on by my 20 pack abs
3. is scottie really scottish
4.who can dance the macarena better captain kirk or the french scum bald captain prickhard.
i get a sense a feeling in my tight nylon space pants that we are getting close to another big war.
question for the log.
what will come first ww3 or bmc giving the prototype to another tester.
[/quote]

Kirk: "Captain! We're approaching the war with $15,000 phaser guns which are obsolete. Our red $20,000 warp drives with $1500 SSD drives are also outgunned!.... Incoming Blackmagic mothership!!!"

Canon Picard: "Beam me up scotty!!"

• Administrators
$3000, another choice, another 'film stock' to use for the scenes that suit the look. It is great to see. The sensor size isn't as important as getting rid of all the dodgy compression, mud, aliasing, moire, 8 bit colour, 4:2:0, steep highlight roll off, banding, lack of detail, weak dynamic range and smudgy un-film-like noise you get in Canon DSLR footage.

I see none of that being a problem on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera judging from John's footage which is about as honest as the camera.

The BMD is needed to bust the myth of the Canon DSLRs being 'the best' for digital cinema under $3k, just because a few celebrity shooters have done great things with them. It really is looking like a $3000 digital film camera. When I shoot with mine, I may be proved wrong or disappointed so only then will I know for sure so it makes sense to hold off in terms of final judgement, but I am predicting I will like it.

By the way if what I know about the GH3 is correct we are in for a treat.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1344405195' post='15105']
By the way if what I know about the GH3 is correct we are in for a treat.
[/quote]
...Panasonic are leaving it open to hacking? Because it's hard to imagine that out of the box it's going to beat a hacked GH2.

Photokina unveiling, right?