D800 vs D810 vs D750 High ISO video test

horshack

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the test. Even if the test is quite conclusive between those 3 cameras, I think putting it on vimeo would be better because youtube is so bad because of the heavy compression.

Another thing I would dye for would be some out of camera video sample file between the d810 and the D750 at base Iso. I have seen insanely sharp images out of the D810, that is why I would like to see if the d750 matches it. It would be good also to match the field of view just to be sure about sharpness because the d810 crops a little bit so image looks a little bigger and thus sharper. Again thanks for the test.

Thanks I downloaded it. I don't know if it is the lighting, but they seem to be better than I thought they would. At first I thought that it was the crushed black, but using Gom player and lifting the lows the noise is still very nice. The D750 is cleaner and in this lighting even the 12800 looks very nice and 25600 usable. The D810 6400 iso still looks good with lots of resolution and very nice filmic noise and 12800 would be usable. The D800 is clearly a step below those two in terms of noise and resolution.

From what I have seen before they all look better by 1 stop from what I thought. In other footage the D750 seemed to have a sharp degradation of the quality between Iso 10 000 and 12 800, did you see the same.

I can also understand why the D810 was chosen for that big studio Australian Movie. It has a lot of resolution and it retains a lot of detail even at high ISO. You can easily shoot at 3200 ISO with a ton of detail. This is enough for any movie.

Thanks I downloaded it. I don't know if it is the lighting, but they seem to be better than I thought they would. At first I thought that it was the crushed black, but using Gom player and lifting the lows the noise is still very nice. The D750 is cleaner and in this lighting even the 12800 looks very nice and 25600 usable. The D810 6400 iso still looks good with lots of resolution and very nice filmic noise and 12800 would be usable. The D800 is clearly a step below those two in terms of noise and resolution.

From what I have seen before they all look better by 1 stop from what I thought. In other footage the D750 seemed to have a sharp degradation of the quality between Iso 10 000 and 12 800, did you see the same.

I can also understand why the D810 was chosen for that big studio Australian Movie. It has a lot of resolution and it retains a lot of detail even at high ISO. You can easily shoot at 3200 ISO with a ton of detail. This is enough for any movie.

The D800's video IQ drops off a cliff between ISO 6400 -> 12800, whereas on the D810 and more so the D750 the decrease is more linear. Btw I'll try to get a base ISO video comparison done tomorrow.

One thing I would ask you, if it is possible to make at least one example where you put the D750 a little closer to the scene so as to have same field of view than the crop D810. It is very difficult to match sharpness when the two subject are different size.  Thanks again for the test.

Danyyel, the D810 is a bit sharper and resolves a bit more detail than the D750. They are fairly close but the D810 is a bit better in terms of sharpness and resolution. Have a look at this review: http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Nikon-D750---Nikons-beste-Fullframe-Video-DSLR-bisher-.html - Google Translate should give you a fairly good idea of their opinion. Feel free to ask me if you need specific bits or sentences to be translated. 

Here's a base ISO comparison with the same cameras, including a comparison with the D800/D810 moved back to match the D750's wider crop. Not sure I picked the best subject for the comparison. All using Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 @ f/8, Cloudy WB, Standard Picture profile, 1/50 ISO 100.

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/2c0a7a0c-d7c5-4298-b728-ad49bab8bd1c/J1jQVSQY-eNa1eX5r5IWag2

Here's a base ISO comparison with the same cameras, including a comparison with the D800/D810 moved back to match the D750's wider crop. Not sure I picked the best subject for the comparison. All using Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 @ f/8, Cloudy WB, Standard Picture profile, 1/50 ISO 100.

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/2c0a7a0c-d7c5-4298-b728-ad49bab8bd1c/J1jQVSQY-eNa1eX5r5IWag2

​I'm going to redo this with a resolution chart. I made a poor choice of subject for evaluating resolution :(

I am shooting the D750 into an Atomos Ninja Blade. However I am finding excessive noise in the shadows, even as low as 3200 ISO. A GH4 that was shooting along side was far superior, in spite having a sensor that is 1/4 the size of the Nikon. I had to buy the NeatVideo noise reduction app to clean up.

Is this "normal"?

Are there any settings that I should use to improve noise? (I am shooting 25 fps and quality HI)