Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color Grade My GH3 Footage!!

61 posts in this topic

Posted

This morning I decided to shoot some test footage to make available to anyone interested but also to get some opinions/tips from more experienced forum members.

You can get all the shots here seperately (Account needed) - http://www.4shared.com/folder/Ok9FV-vH/GH3.html

Or download this file which has all 5 clips included (No account needed) - http://we.tl/Vwx4S3h3JT

It isn't exactly 100% accurate since the light is changing so there is a 2/3 of a stop difference in aperture between the shots (I stopped down the aperture to compensate the change in light).. In this particular shot I probably would have chose to shoot at +1 stop exposure since the big rock was a bit dark but I decided to let the camera "pick" correct exposure for all shots, I was shooting on manual but let the meter decide what was correct exposure.

Each clip is only 10 seconds in length, every clip was shot at 1920x1080, 24p, 50Mbps, 1/50th, 200 iso (with a slight difference in aperture between all 5 clips - I think I started on f/16 and by the 5th clip was on f/20) I focused on the big rock in the water.

Each clip is a different Photo Style (Standard, Vivid, Natural, Scenery, Portrait) and in all of the Photo Styles Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation and Noise Reduction were all at -5. 

Hope the shots are ok for grading.. I'd really appreciate any tips/comments on what you think about grading the footage, what program you used, which clip you think grades the best, and also specifics like sharpening and getting rid of noise (any tips for sharpening in FCP7 would be great).. Maybe no one will reply lel but I thought I'd put it up anyway since I'll be practicing grading the shots myself anyway, but I am only new to color grading. 

Thanks!

Posted

I might give it a try in DaVinci Resolve Lite. I'm also pretty new to color grading so don't expect wonders ;)

/Edit: I have to register to download the files. Don't like that. Try WeTransfer.com or mega.co.nz.

Posted

I might give it a try in DaVinci Resolve Lite. I'm also pretty new to color grading so don't expect wonders ;)

/Edit: I have to register to download the files. Don't like that. Try WeTransfer.com or mega.co.nz.

Sorry didn't know that.. Uploading to wetransfer now, will make a new post with link and also copy it into OP.

Posted

http://we.tl/Vwx4S3h3JT

That's the wetransfer file, however it is all 5 files together and was quite a slow upload.. There doesn't seem to be an option for choosing specific files when downloading.

Posted

Thanks, the download is fast anyway :)

Posted

You have a big spot of dirt on your sensor there, BTW ;)

Posted

I had a play with it for a few minutes, using Vivid

GH3 looks pretty good. Once speed booster arrives too should be extra awesome.

Here's my video:

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/9bb6bc8980c4e0610b5b398e7cd165f720130227123624/e5ae0a6e50c49b3633d67492bf833b6f20130227123624/426636

That looks great, what did you use for grading? I just gave the sensor the rocket-air treatment, no more dust.

Posted

Cheers my firend!

Varying degrees of Colorista II, Looks and Filmconvert. 

Lots of small tweaks rather than big sweeping attacks on colour, which are all too common these days IMO.

I tried sharpening a bit but it looked very artificial, even just sharpening high frequency detail in the luinance channel.

Is in-camera sharpening on or off here?

Posted

I do have a JVC DT-V20L3D monitor here in the office though, which is amazing and helps a lot for grading.

Posted

I just had a play with your files.  'Standard' profile looked best for my preference.  I have just started exporting a series of different grades.  some rather extreme.  I am really liking the headroom the footage is giving before any breakup occurs.   Should be uploaded shortly.  Cheers for sharing this.  You should try and get a friend to get in shot as it is always nice to have some skin in shot to judge what you can get in post:)  I'd love to see this same shot with some portraits in the foreground. 

Posted

I love seeing interpretations. With just one shot it's totally open to aesthetic sensibilities -- there's no particular story to reflect --- you can have fun! 

I wish there were more footage sharing here now Wetransfer exists.

It really helps with buying decisions too.

I'm most impressed with how much detail is in the shadows there. This camera doesn't seem to have the GH2's hard highlight clipping either.

Posted

I'm most impressed with how much detail is in the shadows there. 

me too.  massive amounts of clear detail can be brought back in the rock face.  it gets noisy at a point but the noise is lovely and fine.  More like grain than noise.  I'd leave it in in most cases to be honest - and i imagine some careful iso and profile selection and wb tweeks might allow the noise to be tuned to an even more appealing look, with the right balance between red, green and blue grain is present and it looks even more like film grain.

The noise which appears when the shadows are slammed up a bit looks like a perfect Neatvideo candidate if you wanted it gone.

Posted

Totally agree with Jgharding: these days people do absurd things with grading software. Its absolutely rather about small tweaks, oh well, i got used to orange faces and other weird stuff...

Posted

http://www.vimeo.com/60651984

First shot is 'Standard' - out of the camera. After that I just had a mess around. I like the image out of this beast!

ps. You can download the original file if you click 'download'. its about 400mb. Happy to send screen grabs of the curves if you want to know what was done to each channel.

Posted

That look at about 1:14 is my favorite. You can get a lot out of this little camera it seems!

Posted

Quite a bit of detail in those shadows.... Nice work Rich

Posted

That look at about 1:14 is my favorite. You can get a lot out of this little camera it seems!

I just reuploaded a newer version since i felt the darker grades were too contrasty and the rock face went pure black.

Various Grades:- http://www.vimeo.com/60651984

Day For Night Grades:- http://www.vimeo.com/60677210

Posted

I recommend you take a look at FCS's Color. You own it already, the grading performed by jgharding and richg101 can be done with it. Usually I would have taken the bait, but I don't think I could do much better.

I learned the software with the manual and the very good Lynda tutorials. Workflow: You 'send' an FCP-sequence 'to Color', you jump from clip to clip and from 'room' (correction state) to room. In the end, you 'render all', save and send back 'to Final Cut Pro'. Sounds more complicated than it is. Very fast and straightforward grading suite.

Posted

If anyone would like to try grading different shots what photo style would you prefer it be in? I know bright sunlight is not the best light to shoot in but I might grab a few shots this afternoon while I am running some errands and possibly a few more at dusk tonight.

Posted

Hi,

I find the video overexposed by at least half a stop. You would get much richer color this way, even more important on a sunset. You also need to know if it is more important to see all the details in the bush at the bottom rich and behind the rock or if it is all the details in the sky.

Also, I didn't try personnaly the GH series but I would not tune down the saturation, you should not gain anything. I would keep it at zero. Increasing it however should reduce the dynamic range, so it is not a good idea.

Posted

On the back of being told from various sellers at BVE the other day, and from the guys on the Blackmagic stand, that the BMCC with MFT mount won't be available until the end of the summer, or at least until all the EF mount back orders have been filled, I have taken the plunge and ordered the GH3.

Thought I'd chime in with my grading test of /P/'s footage. I just graded the Natural clip with FCPX's colour board to see how far I could take it excessively. Wonder if Neat Video would improve the noise?

Your all welcome to download and watch. You can definitely bring a nice image back from the shadow area...

wetransfer download link...

Posted

Here's my go at a simple grade.  My objective was to give it a warm inviting feeling.  I may have pushed the colours a little too far, not entirely sure.

I used MB Colorista II for this one.  I used a powermask to bring back some of the sky's natural cool tones farther from the sun.

https://vimeo.com/60835279

The password is: /p/

Posted

I tried to cc this footage & there was something seriously lacking with it (really lacklustre) - i just couldn't get it to do what i wanted (will give it another go, as i probably gave up too quickly).

Just think that the 8-bit quality does need a little help & the theory that flat is best is probably the most misguided advice for DSLRs. You simply can't put back in stuff that isn't there in the first place - this isn't RAW. So dialing down everything, IMO, isn't helping anything, its disabling you. With a DSLR you should try to get it as perfect as possible & then tweek it in post - 8-bit isn't that flexible before it falls apart on you.

Was also a bit confused why there was noise at iso 200?

Maybe i'll change my mind, but i'm not overly impressed with GH3.

No criticism of your footage intended (as i don't think there is anything wrong with it - just the theory behind it) & I was really grateful to have something to play with.

Thanks, it was really good & brave of you to do this.

Perhaps we could all do this more regularly, so we can really test out cameras before we take the plunge?

Posted

I totally agree! It would be great to have an EOSHD sub forum like Screening Room, called Footage Sharing or similar, where people put up Wetransfer link in individual threads. I'd love to play with BMD, 5D Mkii GH3 etc with my own software and hardware...