Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review

Andrew Reid

To me is obviously a pre-production model, and why not?, maybe this leak is a viral strategic, this info has been the video/photo news of the day ;)

One thing to notice from the video, when the camera is tested for stabilization, what they are using is a video monitor, so? it's looks like live view is enabled, maybe video options has been upgraded some how, thing that i really hope for because i really like to use my OM-D, and also have some 4/3 lenses.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The engadget video got pulled from YouTube but a 720p version is available for download from here http://ul.to/9pf6imwp

Check out the last 30 seconds for an amazing demo of the IBIS. I had at first thought that they were using the WiFi Live View demonstrated earlier in the clip but in fact it's a video monitor so presumably the Live View HDMI out works unlike the current OM-D which is playback only.

• 6 months later...

Check your camera for the current firmware (Menu/Spanner/Firmware)

There was a very recent update adding ISO LOW and a small focusing box

The Olympus site will have the 'downloader' program you will need to update the firmware.

Should only take less than 5 minutes with a good connection.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Loved your footage with the EM5 Andrew.  Smooth and jerk free.

I have the EM5 and want to use it more for video but find it jerky even on smooth pans with a video head.

I'm editing in imovie so I'm wondering if that breaks down the codec on upload etc.

I come from a  photography background to all this codec talk is very confusing.

If I purchase FCP will that stop the jerky playback?  Is that where the problem lies?

I am using the HD 1080 Fine for recording.  Noticed another person on this thread recommended HD 1080 Normal which they thought helped blocking.

I noticed your blacks are smooth and I find mine all patchy.  Again I'm thinking it's due to the editing program but I just don't know for sure.

Could everyone who is successfully using the EM5 for video please share you em5 camera settings for video and your workflow.  

Thank to all.

I just recently picked up a second hand EM5, only been using it for a couple of weeks.

Very obvious question, but what IS settings are you using? IS1 corrects all movement, but for pans you could try IS2, which only corrects vertical wobble. This will stop the camera trying to "correct" for the horizontal movement of your pan. If you're using a non-system lens, you also need to manually set the focal length for IS. Apologies if this is all things you tried.

I haven't used iMovie for a while, are you transcoding the footage into optimized media when you import? In FCPX I find that if you're just doing a few light edits you can get away with using the out-of-camera footage. If you're doing anything more strenuous than that, even just a very light grade, then the OOC files fall apart, so I recommend converting to optimized media (if I remember, iMovie has a similar setup to FCPX, giving you the option to transcode to optimized media?)

I just use 1080 Fine, haven't experimented with Normal. I imagine it's a lower bitrate though? (not that the manual explains anywhere what it is....) Edit: OK, the person on page 2 of the thread reckons the bitrate is the same for fine and normal, I'll have to experiment with that. One interesting tip I picked up somewhere is to use a custom shadows curve (ie shadows +2, highlights -2) and leave contrast on 0, to get more DR. I haven't compared this to using a flat curve with contrast -2 tho.

As Andrew explained in his original post, it is quite easy to make the image fall apart, if you pan too quickly, especially over a detailed, deep focus scene. It is a little more blocky than the best 24 mbps implementations of AVCHD. But for close-up work, you get a really nice image I find.